Homemade Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Homemade spaghetti should be hearty and thick and filled with ground beef and veggies and the sweet and savory taste of tomatoes. That is exactly what you are getting with this dish. The stuff in the bottle can stay on the shelf, you won't need it anymore!
- 1 box (16 ounces) spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook to package instructions.
Combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, onion, and green pepper in a large saucepan. Cook and stir until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain grease.
Add the garlic and cook for one minute, or until fragrant.
Stir the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste into the pan. Season with oregano, basil, and sugar. Simmer the spaghetti sauce for 20 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.