Crispy Parmesan Carrots are a delicious side dish featuring carrots’ natural sweetness and parmesan cheese’s savory taste. They are easy to prepare and a fantastic way to add flavor to any meal! And, for your convenience, they can also be made in an air fryer! I also have Roasted Carrots that you and your family will love.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Carrots: Look for six medium-sized carrots to peel and cut into smaller pieces. You could substitute baby carrots, which are already peeled. However, watch them carefully to avoid overcooking.
Seasonings: To the olive oil, add kosher salt, garlic, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes do give the carrots a little bit of heat, so you could lessen the amount or omit them altogether if preferred.
Fresh Rosemary: Chopped rosemary offers a fragrant and earthy aroma that pairs wonderfully with carrots and cheese. If using dried rosemary, you will need about 1/4 teaspoon.
Parmesan Cheese: The star of the show, or recipe, is the parmesan cheese. As it melts, it creates a cheese crust on the carrots, making them irresistible and delicious!
Can I Cut The Carrots Ahead Of Time?
Sure! One way to save time on this recipe is to get the carrots peeled and cut in advance. Once cut, store them in an airtight container. Then, cover them with water and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week or two, changing the water every 2-3 days.
Can I Add Other Vegetables To The Pan?
Absolutely! You can certainly add other vegetables to the parmesan carrots dish to make it even more flavorful and colorful. Some vegetables that would go well with the carrots are zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, and broccoli, just to name a few. When adding additional vegetables, consider their cooking times, as some vegetables may require more or less time to cook than carrots. You may want to adjust the size and thickness of the vegetable pieces to ensure even cooking.
How To Store Crispy Parmesan Carrots
With any leftover carrots, first, let them cool to room temperature. Then, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat the carrots in the oven or in an air fryer. Reheating them in the microwave will cause the carrots to lose their crispiness.
Crispy Parmesan Carrots
- 6 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups (200 g) parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F* and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the carrots crosswise, into 2-inch sections. Then, slice each section in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, garlic, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and rosemary. Mix well. Add the carrots, tossing to coat.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cups of parmesan cheese over the sheet of parchment paper. (I sprinkled the cheese into an 8×12-inch area, just enough for the carrots to cover.)
- Place each carrot onto the parmesan-coated lined pan, cut side down. Repeat with the remaining carrots, creating a tight line and a rectangular pattern. (Avoid gaps in between carrots.)
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top of the carrots.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the carrots are easily pierced with a knife.
- Serve warm.
- Line the basket of your air fryer with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the parchment.
- Add carrots, cut side down.
- Spray the tops of the carrots with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 375°F for 8-10 minutes, or until the carrots are easily pierced with a knife.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
These would make a great side dish! I love carrots so these are right up my alley. The parmesan gets a little crunch on the edges and the red pepper gives the carrots a little kick!
As someone who is not a huge fan of cooked carrots, I really liked these! Well, they are coated in parmesan cheese, so there is that…
Oh, the caramelized parmesan on these sweet crispy carrots was fantastic. This is an excellent side dish. I think even non-vegetable lovers would be a fan of these!
I usually do not prefer cooked carrots in general, but these were worth the try since I absolutely love parmesan. In a way, it is a good way to dress up vegetables!
These carrots are amazing. Just the right amount of flavor with the spices and so so yummy with the crusty parmesan! I can't wait to make these for my family!