Air Fryer Pork Belly Bites are flavorful, seasoned pieces of pork belly that are cooked crispy in an air fryer with less oil and mess compared to deep-frying. Try my Bacon Chicken Bites for another bite-sized appetizer packed with flavor.
Air Fryer Pork Belly Bites
Air-fried foods are lower in fat than deep-fried foods, which is one good reason to give it a try with a recipe like this. But, just because it saves on some fat and calories doesn’t mean it is light on flavor. These pork belly bites still turn out crispy and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I dare you to eat just one!
What is Pork Belly?
Pork belly is like a huge slab of bacon, but uncured, unsliced, and unsmoked. Both pork belly and bacon come from the flesh from the underside, or belly, of a pig. You could buy pork belly and make your own bacon. However, once you try this pork belly recipe, you may want to stick with pork belly over bacon.
Pork belly can be up to 12 pounds. I went with 1 1/2 pounds for this recipe. You can find it at most large grocery stores. If you buy it from a butcher, he or she can cut the amount you want. Or, you can freeze any extra pork belly for up to six months to use later. If your pork belly has thawed to room temperature, put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to harden it up before cutting.
What is the Best Air Fryer?
I have tested 3 brands in my home and I recommend the Ninja Air Fryer. (affiliate link) You can go up a size if needed, but it is superior in achieving consistent results and also ease of use. I’ve been very happy with this Air Fryer!
Can I Make Pork Belly Bites in the Oven?
Yes! If you do not have an air fryer, or if it is being used for another flavorful appetizer like Air Fryer Pulled Pork Egg Rolls, make these in the oven. If making them in the oven, first, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Be sure the pork belly pieces are flat and in a single layer on the lined sheet. Bake at 400°F for 42-45 minutes.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Pork Belly Bites
- 1 ½ pounds pork belly, patted dry, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.*
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the pork belly pieces to the oil mixture, covering each piece.
- Lay the pork belly pieces in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer. (I was able to fit all of the pieces in the basket, but you may need to split them up into two or three batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.)
- Air fry the pork belly cubes for 18-20 minutes, shaking and flipping them a couple of times throughout the cooking time. Please note: Air frying times will depend on the size of your pork belly pieces and the size of your air fryer.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Do you have to marinate the meat for a couple hours?
I marinated mine for 24 hours in Lee Kum Key Char Sua marinade and some Chinese cooking wine. I usually smoke them but I ran across this recipe. Turned out great.