French Onion Garlic Bread is a delicious and unique appetizer made with ciabatta bread topped with garlic butter, French onion sauce, and glorious cheese! The bread is baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden brown. It is a tasty blend of sweet, savory, and creamy flavors that will make you crave another bite. I absolutely LOVED this bread! Plus, you can even make this bread in an air fryer! If you love all the flavors of French onion, be sure to also try my French Onion Roasted Potatoes, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Onions: Yellow onions are the top choice when it comes to caramelizing onions due to their flavor profile and sweetness. You could also experiment with other onion varieties like sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla) or red onions. Once caramelized, the onions are blended with heavy whipping cream, salt, and pepper.
Garlic Butter: The easy-to-make garlic butter is spread over each half of the bread for even more flavor.
Cheese: I topped each half of the bread with white cheddar cheese and Gruyere cheese. White cheddar brings a sharp, tangy, and slightly nutty taste, while Gruyere offers a rich, creamy, and slightly sweet flavor. You could try other kinds of cheese, but that will alter the final flavor of the bread.
Can I Caramelize The Onions Ahead Of Time?
Sure! Since caramelizing the onions takes the most time in this recipe, you can certainly get them made in advance. After they have been made, first, let them cool completely. Next, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3-4 days. When ready to finish the sauce, reheat the onions in a saucepan and continue with the recipe.
How To Serve French Onion Garlic Bread
French Onion Garlic Bread can be served in various ways, depending on your preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Appetizer: Cut the bread into smaller pieces or slices and arrange them on a platter for guests to enjoy bite-sized portions.
- Side Dish: Serve the bread as a side dish alongside a main course.
- Main Course: Serve the bread in larger pieces to be the main dish. Then, offer roasted vegetables or a wedge salad to complement the bread.
- Game Day Snack: This bread is definitely a crowd-pleaser that would be deliciously enjoyed during the big game!
How To Store French Onion Garlic Bread
Although best served fresh, you can always save the leftovers to enjoy within the next day or two. Store the French onion garlic bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When ready to enjoy, reheat them in the oven or air fryer.
French Onion Garlic Bread
French Onion Sauce
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 57 g) unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced into half-moon shapes
- ½ cup (119 g) heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup (1 stick / 113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 cup (113 g) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (113 g) Gruyere cheese, shredded
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F*. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
French Onion Sauce
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Once melted, add the onions and sauté them for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are very tender and caramelized to a rich golden brown color.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Once melted and warm, carefully transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Blend until combined. Set aside.
- Place sliced bread on a lined baking sheet, cut side up.
- In a medium bowl combine butter, garlic, salt, and parsley. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the garlic butter evenly over the cut side of the bread.
- Top each with a heaping ½ cup of French onion sauce.
- Top evenly with cheddar and Gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melted.
- Slice the bread into 12 portions (or your desired servings). Serve with parsley for garnish.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I'm a huge fan of this bread. The French Onion really makes this unique and delicious. I would definitely serve this one up for guests!
I could not stop grabbing a piece of this bread each time I went out to the kitchen. It is SO GOOD! What a fun and impressive way to elevate regular old garlic bread!
I love this! It is such a perfect complement of flavors with the French onion on top of the garlic bread. I could eat an unhealthy amount of this!
So flavorful! This is Perfect if you're looking to spice up your classic garlic bread!
Absolutely delicious. This is a great way to dress up garlic bread. It is savory, crispy, and cheesy.
Oh man. This is so so good. Just a lovely crispy bite of buttery bread with yummy onions and cheese. Be careful. You might eat it all.