Spiced Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Spread is a warm spread with lots of flavors from a glaze made with brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, mustard, and spices. Then, a nutty crunch from walnuts is added. If this sounds like your kind of appetizer, be sure to also try my Bourbon Peach Pecan Dip.
Spiced Brown Sugar Cream Cheese
Ever had smoked cream cheese? This is that, only made in the oven! This spread is made with all of the warm flavors and spices that remind me of the holidays. It was actually based on a glaze that would be used on ham but poured over a block of cream cheese instead. Then, walnuts are sprinkled on top and it’s all baked in the oven.
Cream Cheese: Be sure to score the cream cheese before pouring the glaze over it and baking. Scoring the cream cheese allows the glaze to saturate it and bake more evenly.
Glaze: The glaze is a simple one made with brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, and Dijon mustard. You could use yellow mustard in a pinch, but it will alter the flavor.
Spices: Just a pinch of cinnamon and cloves add enough flavor to be tasted, but not overpowering.
Nuts: I love the added crunch from walnuts. You could leave them off of the dip if preferred.
What Does Spiced Cream Cheese Spread Taste Like?
This warm dip is a little bit savory, a little bit sweet. You will taste the cinnamon and cloves. Then, the tang from the Dijon mustard and the sweetness of the honey shine through. Of course, you also have the creaminess from the cream cheese with the nutty crunch from the walnuts. It’s a dip that will satisfy many palates!
Can You Put This on the Smoker?
Absolutely! Just put the scored cream cheese and glaze in a foil container with sides (we don’t want to spill!) and place in a 200°F smoker. Smoke for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
PRO TIP: I like to use a small container or make a pouch out of aluminum foil so that the glaze stays as close to the cream cheese as possible.
How to Store
If you have any of this spread left over, store it in the refrigerator. Keep it in an airtight container; it will last up to 4 days or so. Do not leave it out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Spiced Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Spread
- ¼ cup (50 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup (39 g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- crackers, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Lightly spray a 7×11-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, dijon mustard, cinnamon, and cloves. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Place the block of cream cheese into the prepared baking dish, scoring the top of it. Pour the glaze over the cream cheese, followed by sprinkling with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until warmed through and the cream cheese begins to crack.
- Spoon the glaze back over the block of cream cheese. Serve warm with crackers.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.