Amish Chicken Casserole uses flavor-packed rotisserie chicken as a base and is topped with a savory and simple white sauce and perfectly cooked noodles.
Amish Chicken Casserole
A simple and delicious chicken casserole with an incredibly easy white sauce, this Amish Chicken Casserole makes the perfect supper to come home to. After a hard day’s work, we can’t shovel it down fast enough and always wish we made more! We like to use egg noodles, homemade or store-bought, but feel free to use any type of shortcut pasta you prefer.
How to make Chicken Casserole
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it calls for rotisserie chicken. There is really no better way to prepare chicken than rotisserie style, in my humble opinion. You can use my slow cooker rotisserie chicken recipe if you want, or run to the local grocery store and grab the already made version. Rotisserie chicken is juicy and full of flavor. You will not regret making it yourself if you give it a try! The recipe above also uses carrots and potatoes. When I just want the chicken, I will use crumpled tin foil balls to keep the chicken elevated while it cooks, giving it that amazing rotisserie taste.
To prepare Amish Chicken Casserole you will first make the sauce. Melt some butter and make a roux by adding flour. Whisk it around just enough to remove the lumps and brown it a bit. Stir in your broth and milk and let it come to a boil until the sauce has thickened. Add some salt and pepper to taste and then set the burner to the lowest level of heat. You will want to keep an eye on the sauce and may want to whisk it every now and then. It will continue to thicken.
In a large bowl, combine your chicken, mushrooms, onions, parsley and cooked noodles. Pour the sauce over the top and stir it all up to coat. Pour the whole bowl into a greased baking dish, top with some freshly grated parmesan cheese and pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until it is cooked through completely.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
The egg noodles are also a staple ingredient in the recipe. Now you CAN go to the store and buy your own bag of premade egg noodles. That would be the easy route. The more rewarding route though? Just make them yourself! Egg noodles are incredibly easy to make and the flavor is so much better. Here is a recipe for homemade egg noodles. Just five simple ingredients (that you probably already have) and 3 simple steps and voila! If adding egg noodles to this dish, you will want to boil them beforehand, just like you would with a store-bought noodle.
Amish Chicken Casserole
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium sauce-pan, make the sauce by melting the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until no lumps remain.
- Stir in the broth and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until thickened. Stir in the salt and pepper. Keep warm on low while preparing the rest of the casserole.
- In a large bowl, add the noodles, chicken, mushrooms, onion, and parsley. Pour in the sauce and stir to coat. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Did you make Amish Chicken Casserole?
Photography by The PKP Way.