Buffalo Chex Mix is a crunchy appetizer with a kick, made with Chex cereal, spicy cheese crackers, pretzels, buffalo sauce, and dry ranch seasoning mix. If you love buffalo sauce, try my Baked Buffalo Wings.
Buffalo Chex Mix
Spice up (literally) your basic Chex mix snack by adding some hot and spicy crackers and homemade buffalo sauce. This snack gives you that crunchy snack you love with some added heat to the mix. Plus, it’s easy to make; the hardest part is letting the snack mix cool down before grabbing a handful and digging in!
Buffalo Chex Mix Ingredients
Cereal: I used Rice Chex and Wheat Chex in this recipe. Choose any brand of rice and wheat squares you prefer.
Crackers: For some added spice, I used hot and spicy crackers (like Cheez-It Hot and Spicy snack crackers). But, you could get by with any of your favorite cheesy crackers.
Buffalo Sauce: Be aware that buffalo sauce is NOT the same as hot sauce. Check the labels carefully if using a store-bought buffalo sauce. If you don’t have any on hand, make your own homemade buffalo sauce.
Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix: Here is a recipe for homemade ranch seasoning mix if you don’t have a packet on hand. If you make your own, use about 2 tablespoons of the mix (equivalent to a store-bought ranch seasoning mix packet).
How to Make Buffalo Chex Mix
To make Chex mix, first, preheat the oven to 250°F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Set the baking sheets aside. Next, in a large bowl, combine both kinds of cereal, the crackers, and the pretzels. In a smaller, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Then, add the buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning mix, and celery salt. Mix to combine.
Spread the Chex mixture in a single layer on the lined baking sheets. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through. When golden brown, remove the mixture from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
Buffalo Chex Mix
- 4 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 4 cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 2 cups hot and spicy-flavored cheese crackers
- 2 cups pretzel twists
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113g) butter
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 packet (1 ounce) dry ranch seasoning mix, approximately 2 tablespoons homemade mix
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Preheat oven to 250°F, and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set baking sheet(s) aside.
- In a large bowl, mix rice Chex, wheat Chex, hot and spicy crackers, and pretzel twists.
- In a small bowl, heat butter in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted. Add buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning mix, and celery salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour butter/buffalo mixture over the dry ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Spread out the Chex mixture into a single layer on the lined baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- When mixture is golden brown and slightly crispy, remove the pan from the oven; let cool completely before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.