This Cheese Ball recipe is a large ball of cream cheese mixed with cheddar cheese, bacon, green onions, and pecans for a classic appetizer. This is the perfect appetizer to bring to your next Christmas party. If you love this cheese ball, be sure to try my Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball Bites for easy bite-sized finger food!
Classic Cheese Ball
I have been obsessed with cheese balls recently! They are so delicious and such a crowd-pleaser. Cheese balls are quick, easy, beautiful appetizers that are a fantastic addition to any holiday menu! For the perfect combination of savory and sweet, be sure to try my Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball.
Cheese Ball Ingredients
Cheeses: I used cream cheese and cheddar cheese for this recipe. Make sure the cream cheese is softened before mixing it with the other ingredients. This will help create a smooth cheese ball with well-incorporated ingredients. I opted for sharp cheddar cheese in this cheese ball, but you can substitute it with mild or medium cheddar depending on your taste preference.
Bacon: I used cooked and crumbled bacon both inside and outside this cheese ball. It adds a perfect salty flavor to this recipe that pairs well with the other ingredients.
Pecans: Chop up some pecans or put them in a food processor to get them to a fine chop. You could also place them in a zipped bag and lightly crush them with a rolling pin or a wine bottle. If you don’t want to add nuts, you could leave them out. Or, use different kinds of nuts like walnuts or cashews.
Dry Ranch Seasoning: Either store-bought or homemade dry ranch seasoning will work for this recipe!
How to Serve a Cheese Ball
Once you have the cheese ball assembled, it’s time to get it served. To serve the cheese ball, set it on a plate with a cheese spreader or knife along with a variety of dipping options. I prefer Ritz crackers, Wheat Thins, and pretzel crisps, but bagel chips, pita chips, and toasted baguettes would also be good choices.
Can I Make this into Mini Cheese Balls?
Sure! In fact, you could easily form this cheese ball into individual-sized portions. Then, simply serve each miniature cheese ball with toothpicks or pretzel sticks for easy sharing. And, of course, don’t forget all the dipping options.
How to Store
Store the leftover cheese ball in the refrigerator, covered or loosely rewrapped in plastic wrap. It will last up to a week. However, the nuts may not be as crunchy the longer the cheese ball is stored.
Cheese Ball Recipe
- 1 pound bacon cooked, finely crumbled, divided (about 1½ cups)
- 2 blocks (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (57.5 g) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 cups (226 g) sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded, divided
- ¼ cup (25 g) green onions, finely chopped, divided
- ½ cup (54.5 g) pecans, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons dry ranch seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a large bowl, add ¾ cup of crumbled bacon, cream cheese, sour cream, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, 3 tablespoons of green onion, ¼ cup of pecans, ranch seasoning, and garlic powder. Stir to fully incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining bacon, cheese, green onion, pecans, and parsley. Pour the mixture onto a cutting board or baking sheet, and spread it into an even layer.
- Using a spatula or greased hands, form the cream cheese mixture into a ball.
- Pick up the cheese ball. Roll onto the remaining bacon mixture until all sides are evenly coated.
- Serve with crackers or pretzels.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.