This Shrimp Cheese Ball is a savory appetizer that combines the creamy richness of cream cheese with the flavors of shrimp and mozzarella cheese. Then, the ball is rolled into a topping of parmesan cheese and chives making it an irresistible addition to any party spread! It’s perfect for all of the upcoming holiday gatherings and New Year’s Eve parties! I also have another flavorful Cheese Ball recipe that you might love!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cream Cheese: Make sure the cream cheese is softened before mixing it with the other ingredients. This will help create a smooth cheese ball with well-incorporated ingredients.
Shrimp: Look for frozen cooked small shrimp that have been peeled, deveined, and thawed. Chop them into smaller pieces so they are more evenly distributed in the mixture.
Cheese: A generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese is added to the mixture.
Red Pepper Flakes: The red pepper flakes add just a super subtle kick to the cheese ball. You could certainly increase the amount for more of a kick or leave it out if preferred.
Topping: The cheese ball is rolled into a mixture of grated parmesan cheese and chives for even more flavor!
How To Serve A Shrimp Cheese Ball
Once you have the cheese ball assembled, it’s time to get it served. To serve the cheese ball, set it on a plate with a cheese spreader or knife along with a variety of options for dipping. Here are some of my favorites:
Once serving, do not let the cheese ball sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. I also have a Dill Pickle Cheese Ball, a Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball, and a Bacon Ranch Jalapeno Cheese Ball that you and your guests will love!
Can I Make Mini Shrimp Cheese Balls?
Absolutely! You can easily form this cheese ball into individual-sized portions. I could make about 16 mini cheese balls with this recipe. Once made, serve each with toothpicks or pretzel sticks for easy sharing. And, of course, don’t forget all the options for dipping! You may also want to try my popular Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball Bites, too!
How To Store A Shrimp Cheese Ball
To store the shrimp cheese ball, wrap it in plastic wrap. Then, store it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When ready to serve, let it sit out for about 15 minutes to soften it up.
Shrimp Cheese Ball
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 small lemon, juiced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked small shrimp, peeled, deveined, thawed, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (169.5 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (50 g) parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- ⅓ cup (16 g) chives, finely diced
- crackers or crostini, for serving
- In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, shrimp, and mozzarella.
- Set out a 10×10-inch piece of plastic wrap.
- Using a spatula, form the cream cheese mixture into a ball. Grease your hands with butter or oil to prevent sticking (or use plastic wrap) and pick up the cream cheese mixture.
- Place the cheeseball onto the sheet of plastic wrap. Bring together the edges of the plastic wrap to seal the cheeseball. This should form a ball. Smooth out bumps as needed.
- Place the wrapped cheese ball into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, combine parmesan cheese and chives.
- Remove the chilled cheese ball from the plastic wrap. Roll it in the mixture until evenly coated on all sides, gently pressing it onto the cheese ball.
- Serve with crackers or crostini.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
Every party needs this cheese ball on the appetizer table! It is so good! It makes quite a bit, but it won't last long!
This is such a delicious, creamy dip! I love it with shrimp, for sure. I could not stop eating this!
YUM! I have never had a shrimp cheese ball, but who doesn't love a good cheese ball? This was delicious.
I am obsessed. SO obsessed. Such a creamy cheese ball! The shrimp just makes everything better. This is delicious with crackers or chips!
I was surprised by how much I liked this. It has a really great consistency and balanced flavors. Sure to be a hit at your holiday party.