Cheesy Sausage and Rice is one-pan comfort food made with white rice, onions, bell peppers, smoked sausage, and cheddar cheese. Try my Chicken and Rice Casserole for another deliciously cheesy dish made with rice.
Cheesy Sausage and Rice
With cool, fall nights coming our way, this Cheesy Sausage and Rice dish is perfect to warm you up. It is also satisfying, filling, and makes plenty to feed an entire family. This creamy dish would be delicious paired with a basket of breadsticks and a side of green beans.
Cheesy Sausage and Rice Ingredients
Smoked Sausage: I used a ring of smoked sausage that I cut into thin slices. (You could also dice the sausage.) Andouille, chorizo, or Polish kielbasa would be great substitutes. Turkey sausage would also work.
Bell Peppers: The green and red bell peppers not only give the dish some added flavor but also some color. You could stick to one color of bell pepper if you prefer.
Chicken Broth: Use two cups of broth OR use two teaspoons of chicken bouillon powder mixed with two cups of boiling water.
Red Pepper Flakes: The crushed red pepper flakes give a little kick to the cheesy sausage and rice. You can leave this ingredient out if preferred.
How to Make Cheesy Sausage and Rice
This dish is made in one 15-inch, oven-safe skillet, which makes for easy cleanup! To get started, heat up the oil in the skillet and sear the slices of sausage for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned.
Next, remove the skillet from the heat and add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, rice, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, one cup of cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Then, top the mixture with the 4 pats of butter (equally spaced) and the remaining cup of cheese.
Cover the skillet with aluminum foil and bake the cheesy sausage and rice in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Serve topped with parsley and salt to taste.
Can I Freeze this Dish?
Yes! This is an easy dish to freeze. To freeze the cooked sausage and rice, let it cool completely. Then, transfer the cheesy sausage and rice to a freezer-safe container. Cover the dish with a lid and then completely cover the dish with aluminum foil. Label and date the container. You could also freeze portions for easy meals.
When ready to eat, let the dish thaw in the refrigerator, still covered. Warm it up in the microwave or oven. Do not re-freeze once thawed. It will last in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Cheesy Sausage and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ring (13.5 ounces) smoked sausage, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, sliced into 4 pats
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add olive oil to a 15-inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sausage and sear it on each side until browned, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, rice, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, 1 cup of cheese, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Top with pats of butter (evenly spaced) and the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes, or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Top with parsley. Salt to taste.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.