This Ham Salad Recipe is a blend of finely diced ham, pickles, onions, and mayonnaise with a touch of Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. It can be enjoyed as an appetizer, a dip, or a sandwich spread, and is a flavorful way to use leftover ham from your Christmas feast! Give it a try and you will discover a new go-to recipe that is as versatile as it is delicious! I also have a Dill Pickle Dip that you will want to try!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Ham: Whether you served Honey Glazed Ham or Apricot Honey Ham, this will be your new favorite recipe to use the leftovers! Whip some up for your New Year’s Eve party! You could also make this with deli ham if that is what you have on hand.
Pickles: Finely diced dill pickles give the ham salad a zesty tang. You could substitute dill pickle relish. Or, for a sweeter version, try this with sweet pickle relish.
Onion: I love the crunch from the yellow onion. If you don’t like onions, you can certainly leave it out. The salad will still be delicious.
Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise gives the salad its creamy base. Make your own if you don’t have any on hand!
Mustard: Dijon mustard adds a tangy and slightly spicy flavor to the salad. You could substitute yellow mustard, but it will change the flavor profile a bit.
How To Serve Ham Salad
This ham salad recipe is a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways! Here are some of my favorites:
- Sandwich Filling: Spread the ham salad between slices of bread, rolls, or croissants.
- Appetizer: Add a little bit of ham salad on top of pieces of baguette or crostini to create an elegant appetizer.
- Dip: Serve it with chips, pita chips, pretzels, crackers, or vegetable sticks (add it to a vegetable tray) for dipping.
- Wraps or Roll-Up: Place a scoop of ham salad on a tortilla, add some lettuce, and roll it up.
- Salads: Serve the ham salad on top of a bed of lettuce for a salad.
Variations To Ham Salad
Ham Salad is one of those recipes that can easily be customized to include your favorite ingredients. Try adding chopped celery, diced bell peppers, or sliced hard-boiled eggs, just to name a few optional add-ins.
How To Store Ham Salad
To store ham salad, first, place it in an airtight container. Then, store it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When ready to serve it, give it a good stir to mix up all the ingredients.
Ham Salad Recipe
- 3 cups (405 g) cooked ham, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon finely diced yellow onion
- 1 cup (232 g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- crackers and chips, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine ham, pickles, onion, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill the ham salad in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers or chips.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
This is a great way to use up that leftover ham! The ham mixed with the dill pickle make the perfect dip or even a sandwich!
I was not sure what to expect with this ham salad since I have never had it before! But, I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful it was. I loved it over buttery crackers.
I love this ham salad recipe. It was delicious with crackers but it was equally delicious as a sandwich! Love it!
Yum! The pickles complement the ham perfectly. This is a quick and excellent recipe to try. It's delicious as a dip or in a sandwich!
This is a great way to use leftover ham. I tried it with a sweet pickle as well and really liked that flavor combination!
I definitely prefer this on crackers, but it is so good either way! It's a simple way to use leftover ham as well!