Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs are layered with marinated chicken, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes, then grilled for a perfect summertime meal. Now that your grill is fired up, be sure to also try my Chicken Caprese Kebabs and Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs.
Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs
It’s officially summer, and around here, that means it’s grilling season! To be honest, I love grilling all year round. But, no matter when you light up your grill be sure to check out these Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs. And, if you like other kinds of meat on your kebabs, try my Rosemary Garlic Steak Kebabs and Cajun Shrimp Sausage Kebabs.
Chicken: I cut up boneless, skinless chicken breasts to use in the kebabs. Try to cut the chicken into equal-sized pieces for even cooking.
Marinade: The marinade is olive-oil based with lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and a few crushed red pepper flakes.
Vegetables: Zucchini and cherry tomatoes are added to the skewers, with the chicken.
How to Store Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs
Once cooked, you can store any leftover kebabs in the refrigerator or freezer. When stored in the refrigerator, they will last 3-4 days. If you store them in the freezer, let them cool, remove the chicken and the vegetables from the skewers, and freeze them for up to 2 months.
Can I Make these Ahead of Time?
Yes! There are a couple of ways to make the kebabs ahead of time. You could cut up the vegetables a day or two ahead of time. And, the chicken can be marinated up to overnight. You could also assemble the kebabs ahead of time and store them for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I Make Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs in the Oven?
Yes! If you don’t have a grill to use, you can still make these lemon garlic chicken kebabs in the oven. When ready to make them, first, preheat the broiler to high.
Next, place the skewers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with some of the reserved marinade and broil for 4 minutes.
After 4 minutes, carefully remove the kebabs from the oven and flip them over. Brush on the remaining marinade and place the pan back into the oven. Finally, cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and the vegetables are charred.
What to Serve with Kebabs
Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1½ pounds)
- ⅓ cup (71 g) olive oil
- ⅓ cup (81 g) lemon juice, 2 large lemons
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch round slices
- ½ pint (5 ounces) cherry tomatoes
- sliced lemon, for garnish
- 6 (14-inch) skewers, metal or wood*
- canola oil, for oiling the grill grates
- To a large zipped bag or large bowl, add the cubed chicken.
- In a medium bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Mix well.
- Pour half of the marinade mixture (about ⅓ cup) over the chicken. (Cover the remaining marinade and store it in the refrigerator until ready to grill the kebabs.)
- Toss the chicken in the marinade to fully coat all pieces. Place the chicken in the refrigerator (covered, if in a bowl) to marinate for at least 20 minutes, up to overnight.
- When ready, working one skewer at a time, thread 1 chicken piece, 1 zucchini piece, and 1 cherry tomato onto a grilling skewer. Repeat with the remaining ingredients until your skewer is filled, ending with chicken. Make sure to leave space at the end for picking the skewer up off the grill. Set the kebab on a large sheet pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Brush the grill grate with oil. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place skewers on the grill directly over the heat. Brush the kebabs with some of the reserved marinade. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- After 6-8 minutes, flip the skewers and brush with more marinade. Cook for an additional 6-10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Serve the chicken kebabs with sliced lemons.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Excellent recipe. Very yummy. I also added baby Bella mushroom caps