Mayonnaise Parmesan Chicken is seasoned chicken breasts topped with a parmesan mayonnaise mixture plus more parmesan, baked in the oven. The final result is a tender, flavorful, and cheesy chicken dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a topping for a salad or sandwich. Perfect for busy weeknights or for entertaining, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. This recipe can also be made in an air fryer! Try my Cheesy Parmesan Chicken for another flavorful chicken dish.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: I prefer chicken breasts for this recipe. However, you could certainly use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, too. Baking time may need to be adjusted if using thighs.
Seasonings: You will need salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder for seasonings.
Mayonnaise: Full-fat mayonnaise is best, but you could substitute reduced-fat mayonnaise if that is what you have. Or, make your own homemade mayonnaise to use. I do not recommend miracle whip in this recipe.
Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese works best in this recipe. However, you could also use Romano, pecorino, or asiago cheese.
Air Fryer Mayonnaise Parmesan Chicken
Looking for a delicious and easy way to cook chicken without turning on your oven? Try using an air fryer! Follow the instructions for preparing the chicken, then place them in the basket of your air fryer. (Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to work in batches.) Cook for 8 minutes at 400°F, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Storing and Reheating Mayonnaise Parmesan Chicken
Properly storing the cooked chicken will let you enjoy leftovers.
- To Refrigerate: Let the chicken cool completely. Then, store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer.
- To Freeze: First, let the chicken cool completely. Next, store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let the chicken thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Mayonnaise Parmesan Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally for a total of 6 chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds chicken)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup (116 g) mayonnaise, room temperature
- 1 cup (100 g) parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish or sheet pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well.
- Season the chicken breasts evenly on all sides with the seasoning mixture. Place them into the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ½ cup of parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly over the top of each chicken breast that has been sliced in half.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of the remaining parmesan cheese over each chicken breast.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F and the cheese is hot and bubbling.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Do you cover when baking?
I’d love to have a light sauce for this – would honey mustard be a good combo or do you have any suggestions. Thanks … ANOTHER great recipe. Your recipes are consistently the best I’ve found, my kind of cooking and you don’t kill good food with covering with spices.
I use olive oil spray on after seasoning then grill
Perfect timing! I’m going to make a meal for a friend and I’m going to add some pasta and I’ll be delicious db
I did make this recipe .. and I air fried it .. it turned out so good … was so delicious that I will for sure make this again and again ..always looking for new chicken recipes and so glad I found this one .. also love the fact you can air fry it … and looks to me you have more air fry recipes
How long did you air fry it and at what temp?
This is really good…made it bunches of time❤️
I have noticed that many of your recipes call for Kosher salt. I already have Iodized table salt, pickling salt and sea salt, will any of these work in place of Kosher salt?? I am trying to cut down on salt, so I only use about half of what is called for so salt lasts a long time now.
Sea salt would be your next best salt to use.
I’ve made this twice. Delicious 😋
So good my mother used to make this
I want your Recipe please that look so Good.
I have made this with bone in pork chops using a packet of ranch seasoning mixed with the Parmeggiano Reggiano cheese and breadcrumbs after I brush mayo on the meat (instead of the individual seasonings). Crispy on the outside, moist and tender inside. Delicious !
This recipe was absolutely delicious. Flavorful, moist and simple to prepare. I served it with brown rice and a warm vegetable. It was so good.
I have a pack of the small boneless skinless breast tenderloins. It’s not a big pack so I think I can cut the recipe in half and check the bake time? Suggestions?
Love this recipe! The chicken is so tender it melts in your mouth!
Thank you for an easy recipe for busy nights!
I would like this in a crockpot? I too want to know if you can?
I tend to forget mayo’s complete versatility in cooking. Thank you for sharing. It’s a great, tasty idea.
Can this be done in a slow cooker
cannot wait to try these recipes…looks so easy and YUMMY!
Sounds so good just delicious
Very YUMMY…MY..Thank you 👍😀
The chicken is moist and I love parmesan!
Would like some recipes using a minus food cooker. Thanks
Going to try this.