Cheesy Parmesan Chicken is marinated chicken breasts that are topped with a ranch and parmesan mixture, panko crumbs, and shredded cheese. Try my Cheesy Chicken Casserole for another delicious and cheesy main dish!
Cheesy Parmesan Chicken
I love chicken, and it’s fun to have a variety of recipes to keep it from being too boring. This cheesy parmesan chicken is easy to make, and the chicken is juicy and tender. There are wonderful flavors from the marinade and the toppings. And, you can marinate the chicken a day ahead of time so it’s ready to be cooked when you are ready to make it!
Cheesy Parmesan Chicken Ingredients
There are two parts to this recipe–the chicken marinade and the toppings.
Chicken: I used four boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Depending on the size of the chicken used, you may want to pound out the chicken for even thickness. This will help when it comes to cooking the chicken.
Ranch Dressing: Ranch dressing is mixed with some parmesan cheese for the first topping. You can make your own homemade ranch dressing if you don’t have any on hand!
Panko: Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb that is lighter and will stay crispier longer. Look for panko in the Asian food aisle of the grocery store. (You could use regular bread crumbs in a pinch, but the chicken will have a different texture.)
Cheese: My choice was shredded Monterey Jack cheese. It is American white cheese that has a very mild flavor. A good substitution would be Havarti cheese.
Marinating the Chicken
All you need for this marinade is a few simple ingredients. Add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil to a large bowl and mix. Place the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a sealable plastic bag.
Pour the marinade over the chicken, shake it up (carefully) to coat, and seal the bag shut. Place the coated chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for an hour. You could also just add the chicken breasts to the bowl, cover them, and place them in the refrigerator for the hour. You could also make this a day ahead of time.
How to Make Cheesy Parmesan Chicken
Once the chicken has had time to marinate, it’s time to get it cooked and served! First, in a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Set that aside as you cook the chicken.
To cook the chicken, heat up the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet. The skillet will be transferred to the oven to broil for a minute or two at the end, so make sure the pan you are using is oven-safe. Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side. Of course, times may vary, depending on the size of each chicken breast. Chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Once the chicken is cooked, divide the toppings evenly over each chicken. First, top with the ranch dressing and parmesan mixture. Next, add the panko crumbs, followed by the shredded cheese. Transfer the skillet to the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully. Broil just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Remove the chicken from the oven, sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the top, and serve. This dish would be delicious with a side of garlic and parmesan roasted asparagus or roasted parmesan green beans.
Cheesy Parmesan Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl or zipped plastic bag, mix together the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the chicken in the marinade, turning to coat the chicken on all sides. Place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
- When ready, in a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing with ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, heat up the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the marinated chicken to the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of each chicken breast reaches 165°F.
- Top each chicken breast with the ranch and parmesan mixture, panko crumbs, and shredded cheese, dividing the toppings equally between each chicken breast.
- Place the top oven rack about 6 inches from the top of the oven. Place the chicken on the top rack and broil at 550°F for 1-2 minutes, just to melt the cheese. (Watch carefully.)
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
This recipe was inspired by @onestopchop_