Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese is cheesy, homemade macaroni and cheese with just a hint of a pumpkin flavor for a perfect fall dish. Try my Chicken Ranch Macaroni and Cheese for another cheesy and flavorful pasta dish.
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
You know it must be fall when everything is coming up pumpkin! This macaroni and cheese recipe is no exception. The added pumpkin puree to this cheesy homemade mac and cheese is just enough pumpkin flavor to make it a perfect fall meal or side dish. Plus, it’s easy to make!
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
With a few added spices and pumpkin puree, my Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese turns into a pumpkin-flavored dish.
How to Make Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese is really simple to make, and you will taste a huge difference when compared to the boxed varieties. And, with the added pumpkin flavor, it makes this dish as unique as it is delicious! In this recipe, there are a couple of times where you will be taking the pan on and off the heat, so be aware of that.
Start by heating the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for a couple of minutes. Alright, it’s time to remove the pan from the heat for the first time. Gradually pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly. Next, add in the pumpkin puree.
Place the pan back on the heat and keep whisking! After 3-5 minutes, add the salt, garlic powder, sage, nutmeg, and optional cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Remove from the heat for the second and final time. This is the point where you add the cheeses and melt them with all the other ingredients.
How to Get Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
I am on a mission to make sure no one has grainy homemade mac n cheese ever again… and in my research discovered this awesome tip. Do NOT put the pan back over the heat to melt the cheese. The ingredients in the pan are already hot enough to do the job of melting the cheeses. If you get cheese too hot that is when you will end up with a grainy texture. After you have stirred in the cheese, pour the mixture over the cooked noodles, and serve. Best served hot! 🙂
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces small pasta shells, cooked al dente and drained
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture turns light brown.
- Remove from heat and gradually pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the pumpkin puree.
- Return the pan to the heat and whisk another 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add the salt, garlic powder, nutmeg, and optional cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheeses, stirring to melt.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the cooked pasta shells. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with chopped parsley. Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.