Easy and incredibly moist carrot cake recipe made with real ingredients. You will have to raid your garden for this amazing cake!
From Scratch Carrot Cake
Carrot cakes are traditionally less fussy than many other layer cakes, making it ideal for beginners. However, the flavors are so amazing it’s ideal for any age to enjoy!
Carrot Cake Tips
Allow the cakes to cool completely before assembling the cake. I like to use a chilled cake for assembly and a room-temperature frosting. You may need to level your cake prior to assembly.
The cream cheese frosting is SWEET. If you are hesitant, try tasting as you go and add in the confectioner’s sugar a cup at a time. You may be able to use less sugar.
BONUS: One way to make this cake AMAZING (and for the 21+ crowd) is to plump up your raisins in rum or the alcohol of choice.
From-Scratch Carrot Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 ¼ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup pineapple, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs in mixer until it is a light yellow.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly and gently add in the dry ingredients. Mix until JUST combined.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold raisins, nuts, carrots, and pineapple.
- Divide the batter equally between the pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.