Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken is an appetizer made with coated boneless chicken breasts that are cooked in an air fryer and tossed with homemade buffalo sauce. Try my Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings for bone-in wings baked in the oven.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken
Buffalo Chicken is one of my favorite ways to enjoy chicken, especially when it comes to wings. But, I sometimes don’t want to mess with frying the chicken in oil. These boneless wings give you the same great buffalo flavor of fried buffalo chicken but cooked in an air fryer. This makes them a healthier alternative to the popular appetizer. Plus, it’s made with homemade buffalo sauce.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Ingredients
Chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. I cut them into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
Coating: Before air frying the chicken, you will coat them in three coatings: flour, cornstarch, and salt mixture, a beaten egg, and panko breading.
Panko: Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb that is lighter and will stay crispier longer. Look for panko in the Asian food aisle of the grocery store. (You could use regular bread crumbs in a pinch, but the chicken will have a different texture.)
Buffalo Sauce: Be sure to check the labels if buying buffalo sauce; it is different than hot sauce. If you don’t have any on hand, make your own buffalo sauce.
How to Make Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken
To get started making the air fryer buffalo chicken, first, preheat the air fryer to 400°F and spray the basket of the air fryer with nonstick spray. Next, set out three bowls or deep plates. In the first bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, and salt. In the second bowl, add the beaten egg. In the third bowl, add panko breading.
Working one piece of chicken at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, followed by the egg, and finally the panko. Place the chicken in the basket of the air fryer. Repeat for the remaining chicken pieces. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to work in batches. Make sure the chicken is in a single layer.
Air fry the chicken for about 8 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. After the eight minutes, or when the internal temperature has reached 165°F, transfer the chicken to a bowl. Top the chicken with buffalo sauce and toss to coat.
At this point, I like to put the chicken back in the air fryer for a few minutes to crisp them up a bit. But, you wouldn’t have to, I just like it extra crispy! Serve the chicken with a side of ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.
Can I Make Buffalo Chicken without an Air Fryer?
Yes! Just like my Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets recipe, you can also bake these chicken pieces in the oven. To bake the chicken, preheat the oven to 400°F. Follow the same instructions until the time to place in the basket of the air fryer. Instead, place the pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Remove the baked chicken from the oven and toss with the buffalo sauce before serving.
What is the Best Air Fryer?
I have tested 3 brands in my home and I recommend the Ninja Air Fryer. (affiliate link) You can go up a size if needed, but it is superior in achieving consistent results and also ease of use. I’ve been very happy with this Air Fryer!
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch pieces (approximately 2 chicken breasts)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breading
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F and spray the basket with nonstick spray.
- Set out three separate bowls. In the first bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and salt. In the second bowl, add the beaten eggs. In the third bowl, add the panko breading.
- Dredge each chicken piece first in the flour mixture, then the eggs, and finally, the panko.
- Place chicken in a single even layer in the basket of the air fryer. (Work in batches if your air fryer isn’t large enough).
- Air fry for 8 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. Chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Transfer the chicken to a large bowl and top with buffalo sauce. Gently toss to coat.
- OPTIONAL: Place the chicken back in the air fryer for an additional 3-4 minutes if you want them crispier.
- Serve with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.