Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu with Swiss Cheese Sauce is ham and cheese wrapped in a chicken breast, breaded, and cooked in an air fryer. Then, the chicken is topped with a homemade Swiss cheese sauce. I also have an oven-baked Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Mustard Sauce you might want to try.
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu with Swiss Cheese Sauce
Forget the mess of frying chicken cordon bleu in oil (as well as the extra fat) and make this popular entree in your air fryer! The chicken will still cook up nice and crispy, filled with ham and cheese. And then, the homemade Swiss cheese sauce really sets this recipe apart from others. In fact, the cheese sauce is so good I also used it in my Mushroom Swiss Pasta recipe. I will also let you know how to bake this in the oven.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: I used four boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied. Try to pound the chicken into an even thickness for the best results.
Ham: If you buy pre-packaged ham, the slices are a lot smaller and thinner than if you buy it from the deli. So, the number of slices per chicken breast can vary, depending on the size and thickness of the slices of ham you are using. If you are not a fan of ham, try turkey!
Cheese: Swiss cheese is used inside the chicken breasts as well as in the cheese sauce. A great substitution for Swiss cheese would be Gruyere, Compte’, or Jarlsberg. In addition, you will also need mozzarella cheese for the cheese sauce.
Breadcrumbs: Look for Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. If you have plain breadcrumbs, just add a tablespoon of Italian seasoning to the cup of breadcrumbs for some seasoning.
Make Ahead Instructions
Sure! Go ahead and get the chicken butterflied and rolled up with the ham and cheese. Then, wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator up to a day ahead of time. Wait until you are ready to air fry it before coating it with the breading and making the Swiss cheese sauce.
Can I Make This in the Oven?
If your air fryer is already occupied (perfect for air fryer baked potatoes to serve with the chicken), bake the entree in the oven. Prepare the chicken as instructed. Then, bake it in the oven for 28-30 minutes at 375°F. Of course, the baking time may vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts you are using.
How to Store
Leftover chicken cordon bleu can be stored in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for 3-4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave (although the breading may get a little soggy) or warm it up in the oven.
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu with Swiss Cheese Sauce
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 slices pre-packaged deli ham, divided
- 1 cup (113 g) Swiss cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup (108 g) Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 56 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
Swiss Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup (1 stick / 113 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (62.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (735 g) whole milk, warmed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (113 g) Swiss cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (56.5 g) mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley, for garnish
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and butterfly each chicken breast. To butterfly, put your chicken breast on a cutting board and, with your hand flat on top of it, use a sharp knife to slice into one side of the breast, starting at the thicker end and ending at the thin point. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the other side.
- Place each butterflied chicken breast flat between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound until it reaches an even thickness of about ¼ inch. (Be careful not to tear the chicken). Use a rolling pin to flatten the chicken if needed.
- Set out 4 pieces of plastic wrap, each about 10 inches wide.
- Set one chicken breast on each piece of plastic wrap.
- Top each chicken breast with an even amount of ham and ¼ cup of cheese.
- Using the plastic wrap, roll the chicken into a tight roll, tucking the sides in slightly. Seal the chicken rolls tightly with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap.
- On a shallow plate add flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Whisk to combine.
- On a second plate, whisk the eggs and water together.
- On a third plate combine breadcrumbs, butter, salt, and garlic. Mix until well combined.
- Working one chicken breast at a time, dredge the chicken into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. Making sure to coat the entire chicken breast each time.
- Working 2-4 at a time (depending on the size of your air fryer) spray the coated chicken lightly with cooking oil and transfer it to the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd.
- Air Fry at 375°F for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown and cooked through to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- In the last few minutes of air frying, make the swiss cheese sauce.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes (or until the mixture turns light brown).
- Remove from heat and gradually pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly.
- Return the pan to the heat, and whisk for another 3-5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the salt and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheeses, stirring to melt.
- Pour cheese sauce over chicken cordon bleu, garnished with parsley. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.