Blackened Steak and Shrimp Alfredo is a rich and flavorful dish that combines blackened seasoned shrimp and top sirloin with a creamy alfredo sauce. It’s like a surf and turf over a bed of creamy pasta! It’s just so good! I also have Blackened Shrimp Cavatappi that you will want to try, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pasta: I like penne pasta for its tubular shape, which holds the creamy Alfredo sauce so well! However, you could certainly use other varieties of pasta or make homemade pasta!
Shrimp: Look for large raw shrimp that have been deveined and the tail removed. If buying fresh shrimp, it’s easy to peel and devein. To peel, start from underneath. To devein, make a slit (not too deep) along the back of the shrimp, pulling out the black vein with the tip of a knife. It is up to you if you leave the tails on or off. (We removed the tails.) Shrimp are fully cooked when their interior is white and the outside is light pink. They will also form a ‘c’ shape when cooked. If using smaller or larger shrimp, adjust the cooking time as needed. You could also use precooked shrimp. Add the seasoning when warming it up.
Steak: I used top sirloin, a relatively tender cut of meat. You could also use your favorite cut of meat like ribeye, New York strip, filet mignon, or tenderloin.
Blackened Seasoning: It’s all about the blackened seasoning when it comes to this dish. It is used to season the shrimp, the steak, and the sauce, making it a triple threat for your taste buds! For the most flavor, make homemade blackened seasoning!
Sauce: The creamy Alfredo sauce is enhanced with blackened seasoning, giving it a smoky and slightly spicy flavor.
Is Blackened Steak and Shrimp Alfredo Spicy?
Because of the blackened seasoning, this dish has a kick. The level of spice can depend on the blackened seasoning you are using. If you are worried about the heat it will bring, start with less seasoning. You can always add more!
How To Store Blackened Steak and Shrimp Alfredo
To store blackened steak and shrimp alfredo, first, let it cool to room temperature. Next, store the pasta dish in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat the dish in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Blackened Steak and Shrimp Alfredo
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pound large shrimp, raw, deveined, tail removed
- 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 57 g) unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups (476 g) heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (200 g) parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon blackened seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add penne and cook al dente according to package directions.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water; drain the rest. Set aside.
- Season shrimp evenly with blackened seasoning.
- To a large, 13-inch skillet over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side until opaque. Transfer to a plate and tent to keep warm.
- Season steak evenly with blackened seasoning.
- Increase heat to high. Add butter to the skillet and allow it to start to melt. Place steak in the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until browned outside and pink inside. Transfer to the plate with shrimp and tent to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions. Cook until softened (3-5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream, ¼ to ½ cup of pasta water, parmesan cheese, blackened seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add noodles to the skillet and toss to coat. Add more pasta water as needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Top the pasta with the cooked shrimp and steak.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
This is DELICIOUS! Restaurant quality in the comfort of your own home. Don't wait to make this one!
This is such an amazingly delicious pasta dish! Adding blackened seasoning to the shrimp, steak, AND sauce really stepped up the flavor with a little kick. I want more!
Love this! The steak and the shrimp are fantastic on this creamy Alfredo. Crowd pleaser for sure!
I love how flavorful this is! Kind of a surf and turf vibe, and absolutely delicious in the alfredo sauce!
I am obsessed. This dish is bursting with so much flavor. It is creamy and savory. The steak and shrimp are seasoned to perfection.
So delicious! I love the seasoning on this and that there are two kinds of protein in it. Seems pretty easy, but feels fancy!