Broccoli Cheese Soup with Dumplings combines the creaminess of broccoli cheese soup topped with tender homemade dumplings. It creates a comforting and satisfying meal that’s perfect for chilly days or when you’re craving a hearty and flavorful dish! I also have a Chicken and Dumplings recipe you will love!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Broccoli: I prefer to use fresh broccoli in the soup. However, you could certainly use frozen broccoli that has been thawed. There is no need to roast or cook the broccoli in advance.
Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese is a key ingredient in this soup, imparting a rich, cheesy flavor and helping to thicken the soup. It’s added towards the end of the cooking process to ensure a creamy and cheesy texture. You could experiment with different kinds of cheese or a combination of cheeses if preferred.
Carrots: Shredded carrots add sweetness and a pleasant crunch to the soup, complementing the broccoli. You could leave out the carrots if you don’t have any on hand. The soup will still be delicious!
Chicken Broth: Chicken broth serves as the liquid base of the soup. You could substitute chicken stock, but you may want to lessen the amount of salt in the soup.
Dumplings: The large homemade dumplings are added to the soup to steam for about 25 minutes before serving. You could also use the store-bought dumpling dough.
How to Tell When Dumplings Are Done
Cooking times for dumplings can vary depending on the size and thickness of the dumplings. For instance, these dumplings took a total of almost 25 minutes to cook. First, look for a soft, golden-brown texture to indicate that the dumplings are cooked. They should not be sticky to the touch. To double-check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of a dumpling. If the toothpick comes out clean, the dumplings are ready to eat!
How To Store Broccoli Cheese Soup With Dumplings
To store Broccoli Cheese Soup with Dumplings, first, let the soup cool to room temperature. Next, if possible, separate the dumplings from the soup. This is not absolutely necessary, but it will help keep the dumplings from getting soggy. Store the soup and dumplings in airtight containers in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3-4 days. Heat it in a pot on the stovetop or use a microwave-safe bowl to warm up the soup and dumplings in the microwave.
Can I Freeze Broccoli Cheese Soup with Dumplings?
Sure! After the soup has cooled to room temperature, separate the dumplings from the soup. Store each in separate freezer-safe containers or bags, labeling and dating the contents. When you’re ready to eat the soup, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. To reheat the soup, heat it on the stove or in the microwave until it’s heated through. To thaw frozen dumplings, let them sit in the refrigerator overnight, and then reheat them by steaming them before adding them to the stew. The soup and dumplings will last up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
Broccoli Cheese Soup With Dumplings
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 57 g) unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (720 g) chicken broth
- 2 cups (490 g) whole milk, room temperature
- 1 head broccoli, chopped (about 3 ¼ cups florets)
- 1 cup carrots, washed, shredded (about 2 carrots)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups (452 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ½ cup (115 g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (61 g) whole milk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a Dutch oven (or a large pot with a lid) over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add onions and cook until softened (about 5-8 minutes). Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir together until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly, until no flour lumps remain.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cheese. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and parsley. Add the sour cream, milk, and eggs. Stir to combine.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture on top of the soup.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the dumplings are done.
- Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I love this delicious spin on broccoli and cheese soup! The dumplings are such a nice touch. This is a perfect hearty fall soup!
Adding the dumplings to an already amazing soup is genius! It's a hearty enough soup to be a main course. Plus, you get your veggies from the broccoli and carrots! It's like a complete meal in one soup!
Broccoli cheese soup with dumplings! Who knew dumplings would be so wonderful on top of a broccoli cheese soup?? Well it will be a new favorite for sure.
This is a very unique combination! I would love this for a chilly day!
A hearty and warming soup! The dumplings offer a unique twist to this as well.
Super comforting and delicious. I thought I wouldn't like it at first but ended up finishing my entire bowl! Love the parsley in the dumplings.