Buffalo Crab Dip is a warm, cheesy dip that is loaded with imitation crab and buffalo sauce to give it a flavorful kick in every bite. For another game day appetizer, check out my Dill Pickle Dips, one of the most popular dips I have ever shared!
Buffalo Crab Dip
You can never have too many recipes for dips, especially when it comes to a day of watching your favorite sports teams or lounging around. With the Super Bowl right around the corner, it’s better to have too many appetizer options than not enough. And, even though most of us will be spending the day at home, with family, why not add some snacks to the menu?
Buffalo Crab Dip Ingredients
Imitation Crab: I chose to go with imitation crab meat for this recipe. Imitation crab is not really crab meat at all, but a combination of whitefish paste and fillers, called ‘surimi’. It is still technically seafood. (I grew up on it here in the midwest, so it is comfort food for me.)
Imitation crab is definitely less expensive, so it is used a lot in recipes like Minnesota Crab Louie or California rolls. If you do choose to use real crab, go for canned lump crab meat or backfin. It is still pre-cooked, but more authentic.
How to Make Buffalo Crab Dip
Buffalo Crab Dip is a baked dip, so before anything else, preheat your oven to 350°F. This is so easy to make and it’s all done in one, 9-inch, oven-safe skillet. To the skillet, combine the crab, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and half the shredded cheese. Mix it all together and top the dip with the remaining half cup of cheese.
Bake the dip, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. I like to broil the dip for one additional minute, just to get the cheese golden brown. Once cooked and heated through, remove it from the oven and serve it warm with baguettes (my favorite), tortilla chips, pita chips, or crackers.
Buffalo Crab Dip
- 16 ounces imitation crab, chopped
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- baguettes, tortilla chips, or crackers, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 9-inch, oven-safe skillet, mix together crab, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and ½ cup of cheese.
- Top with the other half cup of cheese and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes (or until heated through). Broil for one minute to get the cheese golden brown.
- Serve warm with baguettes, tortilla chips, or crackers.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.