Crab Dip is a chilled, refreshing, creamy dip that is loaded with imitation crab meat and topped with a layer of cocktail sauce. It would be a delicious addition to a Vegetable Tray. Try my Warm Crab and Artichoke Dip for another creamy dip that is wonderful on buttery crackers.
This appetizer is as easy to put together as it is delicious! I couldn’t stop piling it high on crackers as soon as I made it! Yes, it is supposed to be shareable, but it is hard to stop eating it once you dip in! Each bite is full of creaminess and just the right amount of crab taste.
There isn’t a whole lot of prep work that goes into this recipe. Once you have your ingredients ready to go, it’s a matter of mixing them all together and getting the dip onto some crackers!
Imitation Crab: I chose to go with imitation crab meat for this recipe. Imitation crab is not really crab meat at all, but a combination of whitefish paste and fillers, called ‘surimi’. It is still technically seafood, but it has a lot more added salt and preservatives than fresh crab.
Imitation crab is definitely less expensive, so it is used a lot in recipes like Minnesota Crab Louie or California rolls. If you do choose to use real crab, go for canned lump crab meat or backfin. It is still pre-cooked, but more authentic.
How Long will Crab Dip Last?
Well…if I’m invited to your party, the crab dip will probably not last long. But, if you have more self-control, store the leftover dip, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Since this is a cream cheese-based dip, do not let it sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Can I Freeze Crab Dip?
Sure! If you are not going to eat the dip within two days, simply freeze it. It will last in the freezer for up to 2 months when stored in a freezer-safe container. However, the consistency of the dip may change when thawed.
- 8 ounces imitation crab meat
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup cocktail sauce
- crackers, for dipping
- Roughly chop the crab meat into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Add the crab meat, diced onion, and parsley. Gently fold everything together until blended.
- Transfer the dip onto a plate or platter, smoothing it out. Top with a layer of cocktail sauce.
- Serve with crackers.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.