Cabbage Roll Soup combines ground beef, Italian sausage, cabbage, and rice in a savory tomato broth with spices, creating a comforting and flavorful one-pot meal. It’s like the traditional cabbage rolls in a convenient and comforting soup that cooks in under 30 minutes! If you love cabbage, I also have a Cheesy Sausage Cabbage and Broccoli Bake you will want to try.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Meat: I added both ground beef and mild Italian sausage to the soup for the most flavor. You could use all ground beef, and the soup will still be delicious! Or, substitute the ground beef with ground turkey for a slightly lighter option.
Cabbage: The star of the soup is green cabbage. You can buy a head of cabbage at the store and chop it up before adding it to the soup. Or, look for cabbage that has already been shredded or chopped to save time. You could also use red cabbage (or a combination of red and green), but the soup may have a slightly different taste and color.
Beef Broth: Beef broth is the liquid base of the soup. You could also use beef stock, but you may want to adjust the amount of salt in the recipe.
Tomato Sauce & Diced Tomatoes: Both the sauce and the diced tomatoes give the soup a robust tomato flavor, complementing the savory parts of the soup.
Spices: The spices I added to the soup are paprika, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
Red Pepper Flakes: I love the slight kick from crushed red pepper flakes. You could certainly leave them out and still have a delicious soup. Or, add more for even more heat to each bite!
Rice: Uncooked long-grain white rice thickens the soup and mimics the texture of traditional cabbage rolls, which often contain rice. Jasmine or Basmati rice would also be good choices to add. If using brown rice, it often takes longer to cook, so keep that in mind.
What To Serve With Cabbage Roll Soup
Cabbage Roll Soup is a hearty and flavorful soup that pairs well with many side dishes to make it a complete meal. Here are some of my favorites:
- Slices of a French Baguette (or other crusty bread)
- Garlic Knots
- Wedge Salad
- Roasted Potato Wedges
- Dinner Rolls
How To Store Cabbage Roll Soup
To store cabbage roll soup, first, let the soup cool to room temperature. Next, store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I Freeze Cabbage Roll Soup?
Yes, freezing this soup is a great way to keep it for longer storage. To freeze, first, let the soup cool completely. Next, store it in freezer-safe containers, leaving a bit of room at the top(s) of the containers for expansion. I like to portion the soup for easy grab-and-go lunches or dinners. Label and date the packaging; it will last up to 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, let the soup thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 small head of green cabbage, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 5 cups (40 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup (92.5 g) uncooked long-grain white rice
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and Italian sausage, breaking it into crumbles as it cooks (8-10 minutes), or until is it no longer pink.
- Add chopped onion and carrots. Sauté until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage, broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, oregano, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and rice.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this soup! Even better that the whole thing is made in one pot and cooks in under 30 minutes!
I couldn't get enough of this soup, and it was just as good when the leftovers were heated up! It's hearty, but not too heavy, and it's so flavorful with the Italian sausage in the mix. I will be making this many times this winter.
Wonderful hearty soup! The flavors of a cabbage roll really come through in this soup, and it is so comforting!
This is a very filling soup, perfect for chilly weather!
This is a great hearty soup that is comforting and warm for the colder season!
This is a really great hearty soup! It feels super healthy but yet is so filling. Pretty easy to make with ingredients you probably already have as well!