If you’re looking for chicken casserole ideas or a way to introduce your young eaters to International cuisine, give this Chicken Tortilla Casserole recipe a try. If you love casseroles, don’t miss my Hamburger Casserole, Tater Tot Casserole, Tuna Casserole, or even Green Bean Casserole!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
This chicken tortilla casserole is layered and is extra cheesy, so they won’t suspect a thing! We like to plate ours like a chicken tortilla casserole pie, making this easy cheesy chicken recipe even more fun for the kiddos and a great option for a quick and easy weeknight meal. The best part? With this easy chicken casserole recipe, you can even get your kids in the kitchen. You’ll just need to figure out a way to convince them to do the dishes after!
Tips for Chicken Tortilla Casserole in a Skillet
Can you make this as a chicken crockpot casserole?
Yes! I would suggest getting the street taco size tortillas (4 inches) and overlapping them within a layer to create more surface area. Then, simply follow the directions above but reserve about a cup of cheese until the end. Cook on low for 2-3 hours and then add the cheese and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Do I have to make this chicken casserole recipe in a skillet?
No. You can cook this recipe in any old pan. We love the natural seasoning that comes from cooking chicken tortilla casserole in a skillet, but it is not a requirement.
Chicken Tortilla Pie Casserole
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 green onions
- 3 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 can (14 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) refried beans
- 5 large tortillas
- 1 medium jalapeno, chopped
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large, oven-safe skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook each side until lightly browned. Chop chicken into ¼ inch pieces and place into a large bowl.
- In same skillet, add onion and cook for one minute, add garlic and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add cooked onions and garlic to the bowl with the chicken. Add chili powder, cumin, cream of chicken, green onions and 1 cup of cheese. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate dish, mix together enchilada sauce and refried beans.
- In the skillet (remove from heat), place one tortilla, spread half of the chicken mixture, top with another tortilla, add half of the bean mixture, top with another tortilla and repeat, add one final tortilla and cover with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream and chopped jalapeno and serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.