Crab Macaroni and Cheese is a ‘crabtivating’ (get it?) cheesy pasta dish that is easy to make and get on the dinner table. Serve it with Garlic Roasted Asparagus and homemade buttermilk biscuits for a hearty and comforting meal.
Crab Macaroni and Cheese
Feeling crabby? Well, this Crab Macaroni and Cheese is delicious enough to get you out of that funk. With three kinds of cheese, crab meat, and Cavatappi noodles, this classic comfort food is full of CRABohydrates…Yes, I just did that. I am having a little too much fun with the puns here. Anyway, if you love crab, you will enjoy this dish.
Crab Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
I love macaroni and cheese, and I have made quite a few varieties of the dish. There really is no excuse to buy macaroni and cheese out of a box anymore, especially after you make this Crab Macaroni and Cheese and see how easy and creamy the end result is. I do have to warn you, though. There is definitely a distinct crab flavor in this mac and cheese. So, it may not be your kids’ favorite, but you never know!
How to Get Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
I am on a mission to make sure no one has grainy homemade mac n cheese ever again… and in my research discovered this awesome tip. Do NOT put the pan back over the heat to melt the cheese. The ingredients in the pan are already hot enough to do the job of melting the cheeses. If you get cheese too hot that is when you will end up with a grainy texture.
Storing Crab Macaroni and Cheese
If you have leftovers of Crab Macaroni and Cheese, do not let them go to waste. You can store them in the refrigerator or freeze them for longer storage.
To Refrigerate: After the macaroni and cheese has cooled to room temperature, store it in an airtight container. It will last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
To Freeze: For longer storage, freeze the macaroni and cheese in a freezer-safe container. It will last up to 3 months. Be sure to label and date the packaging. When ready to enjoy, first, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Crab Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 ounces Cavatappi noodles, cooked per package directions
- 1 cup (113 g) white cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup (113 g) Jarlsberg cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 ½ cups (595 g) heavy cream
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely diced
- 8 ounces crab meat
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Mix together the white cheddar, Jarlsberg, and parmesan cheeses until well combined. Set aside 1 cup of the cheese mixture for the topping.
- Preheat broiler to low with the oven rack near the top of the oven.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and gently simmer, stirring often (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in cooked pasta and return to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir for about a minute. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese mixture and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Gently stir in the crab and 1 tablespoon of chives. Season with salt, if needed.
- Top with the 1 cup of cheese mixture you had set aside. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and add the remaining chives for garnish.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.