French Onion Meatballs combine caramelized onions, meatballs, and ooey gooey cheese that are sure to satisfy your comfort food craving! They can be enjoyed as a side dish or as the main entree. For the same delicious flavors with potatoes, try my French Onion Roasted Potatoes, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Meatballs: Look for frozen meatballs to use in the recipe. Prepare them as instructed on the package. Of course, you could also start with homemade meatballs that have been cooked if preferred!
Onions: Yellow onions are often used for sautéing in butter in recipes like this one because they have a balanced flavor profile that combines both sweetness and a mild pungency. You could also use white onions or sweet onions like Walla Walla or Vidalia.
Beef Broth: Beef broth and a little bit of flour create a thickened, flavorful sauce for the meatballs.
Mozzarella Cheese: A whole cup of shredded mozzarella cheese is added to the tops of the meatballs with Gruyere cheese. Grate a block of cheese (rather than buy shredded cheese) for the best results.
Gruyere Cheese: Gruyere cheese has a nutty flavor that you will love! You can use a French Comte cheese if you can’t find Gruyere. Regular old Swiss cheese you find in masses at the grocery store may be substituted, but beware! The texture is different, and it may not give you that taste that stands out from the crowd.
Can I Make French Onion Meatballs Ahead Of Time?
Yes! You can get parts of this recipe made ahead of time so it’s easy to put together when you are ready. After sauteing the onions, first, let them cool completely. Next, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3-4 days. When ready to finish the sauce, reheat the onions in an oven-safe skillet and continue with the recipe. You can also prepare the meatballs according to package instructions and store them in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to make your French Onion Meatballs, simply reheat the meatballs in the oven, microwave, or on the stovetop until they are hot and ready to be combined with the sautéed onions and other ingredients.
How To Store French Onion Meatballs
Once the French onion meatballs have cooled to room temperature (within two hours of making them), store them in an airtight container. They will last in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat the meatballs in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the oven.
Can I Freeze These Meatballs?
Sure! Once the meatballs have cooled to room temperature, store them in a freezer-safe container. They can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. Keep in mind that freezing can affect the texture and quality of the meatballs and the cheese topping.
French Onion Meatballs
- 1 bag (22 ounces) frozen meatballs*, prepared according to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced into half-moon shapes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces / 360 g) beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (113 g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (113 g) Gruyere cheese, shredded
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a large oven-safe, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Once melted, add the onions and sauté for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are very tender and caramelized to a rich golden brown color.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions. Stir to combine.
- Add beef broth, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 7 more minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Nestle the cooked meatballs into the sauce in the skillet.
- Evenly sprinkle mozzarella and Gruyere cheese over the meatballs.
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melting and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
Wow! These were so delicious! I loved the buttery and sweet flavor from the caramelized onions. I was a big fan of the cheese combo of mozzarella and gruyere on top too. I would definitely make this at home!
These are fantastic! The caramelized onions and two kinds of cheese add so much flavor! Yum!
These meatballs are great! Perfect as an appetizer or a meal of its own!
The meatballs soak up the savory French onion sauce. Every bite is juicy and delicious!
French onion on these meatballs is a fantastic twist to a meatball. Served as an appetizer or with dinner would both be wonderful.
These are so delicious. I love the subtle sweetness from the onions and the gooey cheese on top is perfection.