Ham and Cheese Pinwheels are easy-to-make appetizers made with a sheet of puff pastry rolled up with ham and cheese, sliced, and baked in the oven. Then, the warm, flaky, golden pinwheels are brushed with melted butter to enhance the flavor. Made with just four ingredients, you can easily put this recipe together to share at your New Year’s Eve party or anytime you need a delicious snack or appetizer. Air fryer instructions are also included! I have Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels that are a party favorite, too.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Puff Pastry: This appetizer is made with one sheet of puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions. Or, make a homemade puff pastry featured in my Apple Turnover recipe. A sheet of crescent roll dough or rolled-out pizza crust dough would also be options. However, baking time may have to be adjusted if using different dough.
Ham: Thinly sliced deli ham works well in this recipe. You can choose your favorite variety, such as honey ham or black forest ham. This recipe is also great for using up leftover ham!
Cheese: I prefer sharp cheddar cheese for these pinwheels. But, you can certainly use any cheese you love or a blend of cheeses.
Butter: Melted unsalted butter is brushed over the warm pinwheels for added flavor and a lovely appearance.
Can I Make The Pinwheels Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can get the pinwheels assembled up to 24 hours in advance. After rolling up the ham and cheese in the puff pastry, wrap it securely in plastic wrap. Then, keep it in the refrigerator until slicing and baking the next day.
How To Store Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
To store ham and cheese pinwheels, first, let them cool completely. Next, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the pinwheels in the oven or an air fryer to get some of the crispiness back.
Can I Freeze Ham and Cheese Pinwheels?
Yes, you can freeze the ham and cheese pinwheels either before or after baking them. Here is how:
Freezing Before Cooking: To freeze after the ham and cheese is rolled up in the puff pastry, but before slicing, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Then, store it in a freezer-safe container. It will last up to 2-3 months. When ready to slice and bake, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Freezing After Cooking: To freeze the pinwheels after they have been baked, first, let them cool completely. Next, store them in freezer-safe containers for up to 1-2 months. Before reheating, let them thaw in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that the texture of the puff pastry may change slightly after freezing and reheating.
Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- 6 slices deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (113 g) sharp cheddar, shredded
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F*. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the puff pastry dough into a 9×12-inch rectangle.
- Evenly place the ham slices on the dough, leaving about a ¼-inch border of dough on the long edge. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the ham.
- Brush the empty border of the dough with water. Roll the dough into a tight log, starting on the long edge. Press gently along the edge to seal it.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice into 12 equal pieces. Place onto the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown.
- Brush melted butter over the baked pinwheels. Garnish with parsley. Serve warm.
- Assemble pinwheels as instructed.
- Place assembled pinwheels into the basket of your air fryer. Depending on the size of the air fryer, you may have to work in batches.
- Air fry at 325°F for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Keep an eye on them as cooking times may vary.
- Brush pinwheels with melted butter. Garnish with parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
An easy and delicious appetizer that would be perfect for any gathering! You can't really beat a quick and easy hand-held appetizer!
What a simple, but delicious appetizer! These will be a hit for all ages!
This is such an easy appetizer to throw together! Ham and cheese go together so perfectly, and these were buttery and delicious!
These are so easy to put together, and they're ready so quickly! Perfect for all your gatherings!
A tasty appetizer made of buttery and crispy puff pastry, savory ham, and cheese! I can assure you that these are going to go quickly!
What a delightful appetizer! Super easy to put together but feels fancy with the puff pastry!