Easy Hamburger Rice Casserole is a simple but flavorful casserole made with ground beef, French onion soup, beef consomme, and buttery rice. It is as easy to put together as it is delicious! Yes, it does take an hour to cook, but just let the oven do the work. If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal, this is the recipe for you. For the same great flavors without the beef, check out my Stick of Butter Rice.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Meat: I used a pound of ground beef in this recipe. You could substitute ground turkey, or use a combination of the two. Ground chicken or ground sausage could also be options. Just make sure the meat is cooked before adding it to the casserole.
Rice: For this recipe, it is recommended to use long-grained white rice such as jasmine or basmati. These types of rice are preferable as they have a better ability to separate when cooked, unlike medium or short-grained rice which has a tendency to stick together.
French Onion Soup: Use a can of condensed French onion soup.
Beef Consomme: Condensed Beef consomme is more condensed than beef broth and has a stronger flavor. In a pinch, you could substitute beef broth or beef stock. Look for it in the grocery store where you would find other cans of condensed soup.
Butter: Divide a stick of butter into pats. Space the pats out evenly over the rice mixture before cooking.
What to Serve with Hamburger Rice Casserole
To make this casserole into a complete meal, I have a few options to serve with the main dish:
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Asparagus
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Wedge Salad
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- Easy Dinner Rolls
How to Store Easy Hamburger Rice Casserole
Once cooked, it’s easy to store any leftovers of the casserole. To store, first, let the casserole cool completely. Next, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 4 days, which is great for meal prep. To reheat, warm it up in the oven at 350°F until heated through or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Easy Hamburger Rice Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups (370 g) long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cans (10.5 ounces each) French onion soup
- 2 cans (10.5 ounces each) beef consomme
- ½ cup (1 stick / 113 g) unsalted butter, sliced into pats
- chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add ground beef. Cook until browned and no longer pink (8-10 minutes). Drain grease.
- Add the ground beef to the prepared baking dish. Top with uncooked rice, french onion soup, and beef consomme. Stir to combine.
- Top the rice mixture with the pats of butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking, uncovered, for 30 additional minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and tender.
- Fluff the rice and serve garnished with chives.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.