Shredded Brussels Sprouts are a tasty side dish made with Brussels sprouts that are roasted in the oven and tossed with bacon and parmesan cheese. Try my Gruyere Roasted Brussels Sprouts for another delicious way to serve this vegetable.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts
With just a few ingredients, you will have a new favorite vegetable that your family will WANT to eat and look forward to! Even those skeptics of Brussels sprouts, like I was, will be hooked. This side dish is easy to put together and serve with your favorite main dishes like Roasted Pork Loin with Gravy and Rotisserie chicken.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
Brussels Sprouts: Brussels sprouts are full of nutritional benefits, including lots of nutrients, antioxidants, and high in fiber, among other things.
Shallots: Shallots are used in recipes to give a little bit of flavor, but a softer taste than an onion. If you don’t have shallots, you can also use sweet onions, red onions, or green onions.
Bacon: Bacon needs to be cooked and crumbled before adding it to this recipe. An easy way to prepare the bacon is to bake it in the oven. Place the slices of bacon on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes at 415°F (or until crispy). You can store the cooked bacon in a shallow, airtight container, in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
How to Make Shredded Brussels Sprouts?
The first thing to do to get this savory side dish made is to shred the Brussels sprouts. To shred them, first, cut off the rough ends and add the sprouts to a food processor or blender and shred thin. If you don’t have a food processor, you can always use a sharp knife to shred them. You can also buy pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at a grocery store! Once shredded, spread the Brussels sprouts out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Before baking, toss the shredded Brussels sprouts with garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Bake at 400°F for 20-30 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes, until crispy. When done, remove from the oven and add the cooked and crumbled bacon and parmesan cheese. Toss everything together and serve immediately.
Can I Shred Brussels Sprouts Ahead of Time?
Yes! Just like you can cook and crumble the bacon ahead of time, you can also shred the Brussels sprouts ahead of time. If you are planning to do this, be sure to store the shredded vegetable in a sealed container, in the refrigerator, for up to 2 days. Do not shred them if you are not going to make this recipe within a day or two. Whole Brussels sprouts with last 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 1½ pounds Brussels sprouts, washed with ends trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a food processor or blender and shred thin. (You can also use a sharp knife to shred the sprouts.)
- Pour Brussels sprouts into a bowl. Add garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Pour coated mixture onto an even layer on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20-30 minutes (flipping every 10 minutes) until crispy. (or you reach your desired crispiness)
- Remove from the oven. Toss with the bacon and parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.