Brown butter Brussel sprouts. Roasted just enough to slightly soften and drizzled with a nutty brown butter sauce. This will become your go-to Brussel sprouts side dish for any occasion, big or small.
Brown Butter Brussel Sprouts
This Brussel sprouts recipe will convert all the Brussel sprout haters to Brussel sprout lovers. I would argue, that you might THINK you are a Brussel sprout hater, they get a bad reputation, but if you try them (especially cooked this way) you’ll convert immediately. As a child, I put Brussel Sprouts in the Asparagus category. Heading “yuck”. As my palate became more refined and I grew up and stopped being so stubborn, I quickly realized that I had spent literally years missing out on this glorious dish, Asparagus included. Brussel sprouts are so good that I am actually angry with myself for THINKING these wouldn’t taste good. They are amazing and have so many health benefits. There are a hundred ways to cook them. If you aren’t convinced yet, don’t worry, I’ll keep trying.
Also, If you’ve never tried brown butter before, it is time to try and get ready for your life to be changed for the better. Browned butter is a very simple process and it adds so much flavor to this already beautiful dish. I used the browned butter method a lot, but I especially love it on Brussels Sprouts.
How to make Brown Butter
Browned butter sounds fancy and complicated but it is not. The process of browning butter includes slowly heating butter in a saucepan until it starts to bubble. You then whisk vigorously until the bubbles create a foam and eventually turn golden brown. Pro tip: once the butter turns golden brown, make sure to pull it from the heat. Burning happens relatively quickly once you get to that point.
What to serve with Brown Butter Brussel Sprouts
Listen, this is a side dish that will go with just about anything, chicken, pork, beef, fish, you name it. Here are some of the dishes we like to pair this with, but honestly, the options are endless. Maybe I am a little biased.
Looking for more side dish recipes?
Try out some of these side dish favorites!
BROWN BUTTER BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts washed and halved
- 2 ½ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper divided
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the Brussels sprouts, cut side down on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, followed by sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Set aside while making the brown butter.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter bubbles, begin whisking occasionally to prevent from bubbling over. Once the butter foams, whisk vigorously until golden brown bits form. Remove from heat immediately.
- When ready to serve, drizzle the brown butter over the roasted sprouts and serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Did you make Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts?
Photography by The PKP Way.