Easy Chicken Marinara Casserole is a layered dish filled with shredded chicken, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, lots of cheese, and crushed red pepper for a spicy kick. It’s the perfect weeknight meal to throw together and satisfy the hungriest eaters! Try my Amish Chicken Casserole for another easy, but delicious, meal to make.
Easy Chicken Marinara Casserole
I know it is cliche, but we love a good casserole. I think it’s because I am from the casserole capital of the world (Minnesota). The beauty of a casserole is in its simplicity. You can typically prepare them in advance and pop them in the oven when you are ready to eat. This recipe is no exception. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a hearty and tasty meal on the table.
Easy Chicken Marinara Casserole Recipe
Loaded with shredded chicken and cheese with a little spicy kick at the end, this recipe will definitely be on your dinner rotation after you see how easy it is to make!
Ingredients (full recipe in the recipe card below)
- Shredded chicken–You can sometimes buy cooked chicken already shredded at the grocery store. If not, check out this shredded chicken recipe to use.
- Garlic powder
- Jar of marinara sauce–For an added kick to the dish, try an Arrabbiata sauce (a spicy pasta sauce).
- Italian seasoning
- Crushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Easy Chicken Marinara Casserole
This is one of those meals that is as easy to make as it is delicious. It starts with the seasoned shredded chicken. In a large bowl, add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the cooked chicken. Spread the chicken out on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
On top of the chicken, pour the jar of marinara sauce. Next, add the Italian seasoning and both kinds of cheese. Top it off with the crushed red pepper flakes and bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. If you are not big on spiciness, just leave out the crushed red pepper flakes. Serve with a basket of Garlic Breadsticks and a side of Roasted Parmesan Green Beans.
Can I Make this Meal Ahead of Time?
Yes! That is what is so nice about casseroles; many of them can be made ahead of time and frozen until you are ready to eat them. In this recipe, layer all of the ingredients in the pan and cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Try to get as much air out of it as you can. Label and date the container; it will freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to bake the casserole, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake it according to the instructions. If it still a little frozen, just bake it a little longer.
Easy Chicken Marinara Casserole
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and prepare a 9×13-inch baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, season the shredded chicken with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In the prepared baking dish, spread the seasoned shredded chicken evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the jar of marinara sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the sauce.
- Add the parmesan cheese and shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle crushed red pepper on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.