Lemon Chicken Pasta is a light and refreshing pasta dish that is full of shredded chicken and bursting with lemon flavor. It’s a quick and easy dinner idea that tastes just as good for leftovers! I call this 10 Minute Lemon Chicken because it cooks in just 10 minutes! (And 10 minutes of prep time, but close enough. 😉)
Ingredients & Substitutions
It’s amazing how a simple recipe can turn out to be a favorite recipe. Well, this dish ended up being one of those recipes. With just the right amount of carbohydrates and protein, it’s a complete meal in one dish.
Pasta: Use whatever pasta you have available. We love Gemelli. Or, make homemade pasta to create your own shaped pasta!
Garlic: I encourage you to chop cloves of garlic and leave the jarred garlic at the store. (Unless you can find an artisan or an excellent quality!)
Rotisserie Chicken: It’s easy to shred a rotisserie chicken, but sometimes the deli will have the chicken already shredded and ready to use. You could also substitute drained chunk chicken, canned chicken, or grilled chicken for the rotisserie chicken if you have any of those on hand.
Can I Add Vegetables to the Pasta?
If you want vegetables in the pasta, and not just as a side dish, cut up the asparagus and add it to the Lemon Chicken Pasta. You could also add peas or corn, and garnish the dish with diced fresh tomatoes (our favorite)!
How to Store Lemon Chicken Pasta
If you have any leftover pasta, first, let it cool to room temperature. Next, transfer the pasta to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
Lemon Chicken Pasta
- 1 pound (16-ounce box) Gemelli pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup (61 g) lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1 cup (238 g) heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cups (125 g) parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, for garnish
- salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, quartered (for squeezing over dish)
- In a large pot, heat salted water and cook pasta according to package directions (about 10-12 minutes). Reserve a cup of pasta water; drain the rest. Set the pasta aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice, heavy whipping cream, chicken, and black pepper. Cook until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet.
- Add 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Add reserved pasta water, if needed, until the pasta dish reaches your desired consistency.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Squeeze lemon over individual servings. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.