Pierogi Sausage Skillet is a one-skillet dish made with bacon, onion, smoked sausage, and pan-fried pierogi, all topped and baked with cheddar cheese. Try my Hamburger Macaroni Skillet for another delicious skillet meal.
Pierogi Sausage Skillet
It’s nice when a meal can be made in one dish. In this case, get out your trusty cast-iron skillet, or any oven-safe skillet you have. The dish goes from the stovetop to the oven (just for a few minutes) to give you a cheesy and comforting dinner in about half an hour. Frozen pierogi are fried in butter and mixed with bacon, onion, garlic, and slices of smoked sausage ring.
Pierogi Sausage Skillet Ingredients
Smoked Sausage Ring: You could use any kind of smoked sausage you prefer, like andouille, hot smoked, or even Cajun style. Turkey smoked sausage would also be good!
Pierogi: I used frozen potato and cheese pierogi. But, with all the flavors out there, choose your favorite. Your best bet would be to make your own homemade pierogi!
How to Make Pierogi Sausage Skillet
As I mentioned, you only need one oven-safe skillet to make this recipe (plus a bowl to put the sausage mixture in for a moment). To get started, preheat the oven while you add the ingredients to the skillet. First, cook the bacon over medium heat. Add the slices of sausage and the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Then, add the garlic and cook for just an additional minute.
Transfer the sausage and onion mixture to the bowl. Tent it with aluminum foil to keep it warm as you brown the pierogi. Heat up butter in the same skillet and when hot, sear the pierogi. Add the sausage mixture back into the skillet, with the pierogi. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the heavy cream. Cook until thickened.
Finally, top the dish with shredded cheese and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for just about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. You can also place it under the broiler for a minute or two to get a nice browning of the cheese. Remove the skillet from the oven and serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Pierogi Sausage Skillet
- 5 slices bacon, uncooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ring smoked sausage, cut into quarter-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 20 frozen potato and cheese pierogi, or any flavor
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add bacon pieces and cook until crispy.
- Add sausage slices and onion and cook until onion is translucent (10-15 minutes). Add garlic and cook one more minute. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Tent it with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- To the same skillet, add butter. Once hot, add pierogi and sear on all sides (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add meat mixture back into the skillet with the pierogi and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add heavy cream and cook until thickened.
- Top mixture with cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted, bubbly, and browned.
- Remove from oven and serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
I usually love the recipes I get from here, but I’m not sure if a step may be missing, such as draining the bacon grease, but it was so beyond greasy and gross. Could not finish.
Can I use something else beside heavy whipping cream?