Hamburger Macaroni Skillet is almost as easy as making hamburger pasta out of a box but with a homemade touch! If you love macaroni dishes as much as I do, try my varieties of mac and cheese, like French Onion Chicken Macaroni and Cheese or Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese.
Hamburger Macaroni Skillet
It’s tough to come home after a long day and try to think of something to make when you didn’t plan ahead…Ugh! To make something homemade seems even more daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Instead of relying on a boxed dinner that has little nutritional value, I bet you have some hamburger and cheese that you can throw together with some pasta for something that your whole family will love! Add a side of Roasted Parmesan Green Beans for a well-rounded and colorful meal!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pasta: Although I use cavatappi pasta for this recipe (because I love the shape), any pasta would do. You could even make homemade pasta to use!
Meat: I love ground beef in this recipe. But, you could substitute ground turkey or use a combination of the two.
Paprika: If you want a smokier flavor to this dish, try smoked paprika instead of the regular. It definitely gives it that smokey flavor! You will also need kosher salt, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, and red pepper flakes (which give the beef a little bit of a kick, but not too much).
What to Serve with Hamburger Macaroni Skillet
Hamburger Macaroni Skillet is a hearty meal, but it’s nice to pair a starchier meal like this with a refreshing side dish, like a salad. A Wedge Salad is always a fun side dish to serve. I also love to have some homemade bread to serve with a pasta dish. I have homemade breadsticks that are easy to make, as well as Amish Potato Dinner Rolls.
How To Store Hamburger Macaroni Skillet
Once cooled to room temperature, store the hamburger macaroni skillet in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 2-3 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Hamburger Macaroni Skillet
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente to package instructions
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink.
- To the beef, add salt, paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to fully incorporate all of the seasonings.
- To a medium bowl add beef broth, milk, and cornstarch. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour mixture into ground beef, stir to incorporate completely. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- Add in cooked pasta and shredded cheese.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.