Pimento Cheese is a rich and creamy dip or sandwich spread made with a mixture of cheeses, mayonnaise, and pimentos. Also known as pimiento cheese dip, it is as versatile as it is delicious! Use it to dip in fresh vegetables and crackers, a perfect addition to your vegetable tray! Or, put it between a couple of slices of bread for a tasty sandwich. For another delicious dip, try my Bacon and Cheese Dip, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Cream Cheese: Use room temperature cream cheese. If you forgot to take it out, fill a metal dish with hot water and submerge the contents of the foil packet into the water. The cream cheese will be at room temperature in about 5-10 minutes.
Mayonnaise: The mayonnaise complements the cream cheese and adds a slightly tangy taste. You can always make homemade mayonnaise to use if you don’t have any on hand.
Flavors: Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper give the pimento cheese its savory flavor.
Cayenne Pepper: Just a pinch of cayenne pepper adds a subtle touch of heat to the dip. You could leave it out if preferred, or add more for a little more heat to each bite!
Cheese: Both shredded sharp cheddar and white cheddar cheese are added to pimento cheese. You could all of one kind of cheese if preferred. Or, try the dip with other cheeses like mild cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Monterey Jack cheese.
Pimentos: Pimentos (or pimientos) or cherry peppers are a variety of chili peppers. If they sound familiar to you, they are the filling in green olives. You can buy jars of pimentos at your local grocery store. Drain them before adding them to this recipe.
How To Serve Pimento Cheese
Pimento Cheese is a versatile recipe that can be used in a variety of tasty and delicious ways! Here are a few options to try:
- Spread it between your favorite kind of bread or bun for a sandwich. Grilled it for a unique twist on a grilled cheese sandwich!
- Serve it as a dip with crackers, homemade chips, pita chips, or vegetable sticks.
- Use it as a topping for your favorite burger!
- Fill mini peppers with pimento cheese for a colorful appetizer.
- Make a pimento cheese quesadilla by adding the spread to a tortilla, fold it, and grill it.
- Add a little bit to your scrambled eggs or use it as a filling in your omelet.
How To Store Pimento Cheese
Store pimento cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 5-7 days. When serving, do not let it sit out at room temperature for more than two hours before refrigerating.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (116 g) mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (113 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (113 g) white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimentos, drained
- To a large bowl, add cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Using a hand mixer, beat until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain.
- Fold in the cheese and pimentos. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I know pimento cheese is really popular but until today I had never tried it. It was delish! I would definitely recommend it!
I really liked this dip! It was creamy and had lots of flavor when added to crackers. I am not sure about making a sandwich with it, but I think it would be popular when served as an appetizer, for sure.
If you like creamy dips, this is a great option for you! I loved this with crackers, but you could also dip veggies!
This creamy and cheesy dip perfectly pairs with some crackers! It is great for gatherings.
I love this dip so much! It surprised me with how much flavor it had. It's even better the next day!