If you are looking for a quick and tasty appetizer that is great for a game day or an anytime snack, try these Sausage Balls. Loaded with cheese and spicy sausage, I have to tell you that my family ate them up in no time! If you are looking for other appetizers, give my Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball Bites or Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs a try!
With the holidays here and big meals being prepared, it’s nice to have a snack or appetizer that is easy to make and satisfy you until the main course is served. These Sausage Balls are easy to grab and eat making them perfect for any party where you want to serve awesome appetizers! They are also the perfect finger food to serve at a party or game day! And, the best part is you can make these ahead of time and have them ready to serve at your convenience.
Sausage Balls Recipe
With just a few ingredients, Sausage Balls can be made easily and are fun to eat. As I said, I left some out on a plate and my family had devoured them in a matter of minutes!
- Italian sausage–I chose to use spicy Italian sausage, but you could definitely try original ground sausage or even ground turkey if you are looking to make them a little leaner.
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Butter–I grated cold butter to add to the mixture, but room temperature butter would be fine.
- Garlic salt
- Cheddar cheese–I recommend you grate your own cheddar cheese from a block of cheese. You get more for your money when you buy a block of cheese, and it’s just better!
- Mozzarella cheese–Again, grate your own mozzarella cheese if that is an option.
How to Make Sausage Balls
Sausage Balls are easy to make and they are a savory snack or side dish. It’s all about mixing up the ingredients, rolling the mixture into balls, and baking. Yep, that’s it! Be sure to preheat the oven to 350°F as you mix the ingredients. Start by mixing the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter. Then, add the sausage and the rest of the ingredients. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and bake for 20-25 minutes.
How to Make 3 Ingredient Sausage Balls
If you are looking for a semi-homemade option, try this. Use 3 cups Bisquick, 1 pound sausage, and 2 cups cheddar cheese. Mix all ingredients together and form the meatballs. Place on baking sheet (I like to line mine with parchment or foil) and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
How to Freeze Sausage Balls
You have a couple of options when it comes to freezing Sausage Balls. You can either freeze them after they have been cooked OR you can freeze them before baking them. If you are freezing them before baking them, they will last longer in your freezer, about 4 months. After baking, the meat will dry out faster, like in 2 months.
Freezing Baked Sausage Balls
If you have baked the sausage balls and want to freeze them, be sure to let them cool before putting them in the freezer. Place your pan in some ice to speed up the cooling process. After cooled, store them in an airtight plastic freezer bag, leaving a little space at the top of the container. When ready to reheat them, bake them for about 10 minutes at 350°F.
Freezing Unbaked Sausage Balls
After you have rolled your sausage mixture into balls, put them in the freezer while on a baking pan or jelly roll. Let them freeze and then take them out to pack in a freezer bag. Again, these will last up to 4 months! Let them thaw for 15-20 minutes before you are ready to bake them.
The internal temperature of ground sausage should read 160°F when fully cooked. If you are using ground turkey or chicken, the temperature should be at 165°F.
Looking for More Appetizers?
Easy to make and a savory appetizer, Sausage Balls are family favorite made with spicy Italian sausage and cheeses.
- 2 pounds spicy Italian sausage
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold and grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in grated butter until evenly combined.
- In the same bowl, add the sausage, parsley, garlic salt, pepper, grated cheddar, and mozzarella.
- Form the mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a rimmed prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.