Tomato Spinach Chicken Spaghetti is a flavorful combination of tender chicken, nutritious spinach, and a tangy tomato-based sauce tossed with spaghetti. Whether you’re a pasta enthusiast or a lover of flavorful chicken dishes, this dish will surely captivate your taste buds with its balance of delightful ingredients and harmonious blend of flavors. Enjoy it as a wholesome and delicious meal for any occasion! For a classic plate of spaghetti, try my Homemade Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Pasta: While the recipe calls for spaghetti, you could certainly use a different shape of pasta. Or make homemade shaped pasta!
Chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but chicken breasts would also be delicious. To save time, you could also use rotisserie chicken, which is already cooked. Then, simply add the chicken to the sauce to warm it up before adding the pasta.
Sun-Dried Tomatoes: When using dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, be sure to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before draining, patting them dry, and chopping; this will soften them up. You could also use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. Then, simply drain and chop before using.
Red Pepper Flakes: Red pepper flakes, or crushed red pepper, are added to the sauce for a little bit of a kick (very, very subtle). You could leave it out or add extra for more heat!
Tomatoes: Using Roma tomatoes, also known as plum tomatoes in this recipe helps ensure a sauce with a rich, concentrated flavor and a pleasant consistency.
Basil: We added a teaspoon of dried basil to the sauce. If using fresh basil, you will need about a tablespoon.
Spinach: Add fresh spinach leaves to the sauce. When you first add the leaves, the sauce will look very dry (almost like a spinach salad). However, don’t panic! Once the spinach has cooked down it will release moisture into the sauce. If using frozen spinach, you will need a little less. Let it thaw before adding it to the sauce at the end to heat it up.
How To Store Tomato Spinach Chicken Spaghetti
Once cooled to room temperature, store the pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Tomato Spinach Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in hot water, drained, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta and cook al dente (8-10 minutes) or according to package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt. Once hot, add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the fresh spinach leaves. Cook until the spinach has wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta, tossing to coat. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Recipe Adapted from Julia’s Album.