Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wontons are wonton wrappers filled with a buffalo chicken mixture and air-fried for a crispy and flavorful appetizer. Try my Cream Cheese Wontons for another bite-sized appetizer.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wontons
For this recipe, I used square wontons, but you could certainly use circular wonton wrappers as well! Each wrapper is filled with rotisserie chicken that is mixed with dry ranch seasoning, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. And, they are made in an air fryer for a healthier option when compared to deep frying. I will also let you know how to bake them in the oven if you don’t have an air fryer.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken
A few of these ingredients can be homemade. Or, you can use store-bought ingredients.
Chicken: You can buy a rotisserie chicken at the store, and sometimes even find it already shredded. Or, you can make your own rotisserie chicken to use. Canned chicken could also work in this recipe. Be sure to finely shred the chicken to fit the wrappers.
Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix: Buy a packet at the store. Or, make your own homemade ranch seasoning mix to use. If you make your own, it is more powerful than store-bought varieties. So, start with just a little less than a tablespoon. You can always add more to taste.
Buffalo Sauce: Be sure to look for your favorite brand of buffalo sauce (not hot sauce). Or, again, make your own buffalo sauce.
Cream Cheese: You only need 2 ounces of cream cheese. Yes, there will be leftovers, but you could save it to use in my Air Fryer BBQ Stuffed Chicken recipe.
Cheese: I prefer cheddar cheese. But, you could use the kind of cheese you prefer.
Wonton Wrappers: Buy wrappers at the store (square or circular) or make your own homemade wonton wrappers.
How to Prepare Buffalo Chicken Wontons
These buffalo chicken wontons are a quick and flavorful appetizer to have on hand to share or to enjoy yourself! Plus, making them in an air fryer makes them a little healthier than deep-frying them in oil. Before you get started, preheat the air fryer to 370°F and spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray.
- First, mix together the shredded chicken, dry ranch seasoning mix, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese in a bowl.
- Next, whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash to help seal the wonton wrappers together to hold all that creamy filling inside.
- Then, place a small amount (about 2 teaspoons) of the chicken mixture in the center of the wonton wrapper. It’s better to have too little of the filling than too much. You don’t want the wonton to burst while it is frying. Keep the unfilled wonton wrappers in a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Next, get ready to fold the wrapper. To fold your wontons, dip your finger in the egg wash and rub it around the edges of the wrapper, folding it diagonally in half.
Oven Instructions for Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Yes! If you don’t have an air fryer or are using it for another appetizer like my Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls, you can still enjoy this treat! To make these in the air fryer, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the filled wontons in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Spray the tops of the wontons and cook for 5 minutes. Carefully flip them over after 5 minutes, spray again, and cook another 5 minutes. The wontons will not be as crispy as cooking them in the air fryer, but they are still good!
What is the Best Air Fryer?
I have tested 3 brands in my home and I recommend the Ninja Air Fryer. (affiliate link) You can go up a size if needed, but it is superior in achieving consistent results and also ease of use. I’ve been very happy with this Air Fryer!
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning*
- ⅛ cup buffalo sauce, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, plus one tablespoon of water whisked together
- 19 wonton wrappers, store-bought or homemade
- cooking spray
- ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing, for dipping
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F. Spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, dry ranch seasoning mix, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- In the middle of each wonton, place about 2 teaspoons of the buffalo chicken mixture. (Be careful to not overfill the wontons so they don't burst while frying.)
- To fold your wontons, dip your finger in the whisked egg wash and rub it around the edges of the wrapper, folding it in half diagonally. Press to seal. (Circular wrappers would work as well.)
- Place the wontons in the air fryer basket in a single layer and spray the tops with cooking spray. (Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to work in batches.) Air fry for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, use tongs to flip the wontons. Again, spray the tops with cooking spray and air fry for 2 more minutes. Repeat with remaining wontons.
- Drizzle with buffalo sauce and serve with blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.