Air Fryer BBQ Stuffed Chicken is chicken breasts that are filled with a cheese and barbecue mixture, wrapped in bacon, and coated with more barbecue sauce. Try my Bacon Chicken Bites for a bite-size appetizer with bacon-wrapped chicken.
Air Fryer BBQ Stuffed Chicken
This stuffed chicken recipe gives you so many delicious flavors, from the cream cheese mixture to the barbecue sauce to the crispy bacon. And, it is all cooked in an air fryer! The chicken is juicy and tender and it is easy to put together and get on your table to serve and enjoy.
Air Fryer BBQ Stuffed Chicken Ingredients
Chicken: I used four boneless, skinless chicken breasts that were about 4 ounces each. The cooking time may vary, depending on the size of the chicken. It is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Filling: Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing with the cheddar cheese and garlic powder.
Barbecue Sauce: Choose your favorite brand of barbecue sauce, or make your own homemade barbecue sauce!
Bacon: Use regular bacon as opposed to thick-cut. Thick-cut bacon does not get crispy in the recommended cooking time. And, if cooked too long, the chicken will be dry.
How to Make Air Fryer BBQ Stuffed Chicken
To get started making this flavorful recipe, pat the chicken breasts dry and season both sides with salt and pepper. Next, make a slit in the chicken to stuff the cream cheese mixture. To cut the slit, hold down the chicken breast with one hand and use a sharp knife to cut into the thickest part of the chicken. The slit should be about 2 inches deep.
To make the cream cheese mixture, combine the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce in a medium bowl. Divide the mixture evenly to stuff the pockets of the chicken breasts. Wrap the stuffed chicken breasts with two slices of bacon and then brush the outside of each wrapped chicken breast with the remaining barbecue sauce.
Cook the chicken in an air fryer for about 10 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F and the bacon is crispy. Again, cooking times may vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts you are using. Serve with Garlic and Parmesan Roasted Asparagus for a satisfying dinner.
Can I Make this in the Oven?
Yes, you can make this stuffed chicken in the oven, but it would not be my first choice. The reason I prefer the air fryer is that the bacon never seems to crisp up very well in the oven. It is still tasty, though!
If you make this in the oven, preheat it to 375°F. Follow the same instructions putting the chicken together, and then cook it for 20 minutes, flip it over, and cook an additional 15 minutes. But again, cooking times may vary according to the size of the chicken.
What is the Best Air Fryer?
I have tested 3 brands in my home and I recommend the Ninja Air Fryer. (affiliate link) You can go up a size if needed, but it is superior in achieving consistent results and also ease of use. I’ve been very happy with this Air Fryer!
Air Fryer BBQ Stuffed Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, approximately 4 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup barbeque sauce, divided
- 8 strips bacon, not thick-cut
- Preheat an air fryer to 380°F and spray the basket with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cut a pocket into the chicken breasts. To do that place one hand on the top of the chicken to hold it firmly in place. Using a sharp knife, cut a two-inch slit in the thickest part of the chicken, creating a deep pocket without piercing through the opposite edge of the chicken breast.
- In a medium bowl add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons of the barbeque sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Stuff the pockets of the chicken breasts with equal amounts of the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap two strips of bacon around each chicken breast and then brush the remaining barbecue sauce on all edges of the bacon-wrapped chicken.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer. Cook for about 10 minutes. Then, flip the chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.