This crave-worthy Avocado Chicken Salad is topped with succulent honey mustard chicken, crispy bacon, and nutritious veggies like tomatoes, avocado, and corn. The sweet and sour mustard sauce marinates the chicken AND used as the dressing.
How to Make Avocado Chicken Salad
This recipe calls for a homemade honey mustard marinade/dressing. The chicken should be marinated overnight for maximum flavor, so be sure to give yourself time! Once you have mastered the perfect Honey Mustard Chicken, the rest is all about the beauty of the other ingredients. Avocado, tomatoes, onion, corn, bacon, lettuce. While I happen to love this salad as-is, you can always add/change your favorite ingredients as well as change the amounts. I often serve this at big gatherings! Place all ingredients in the serving bowl and then wait to stir until ready to eat.
Pro tip: Don’t add the avocados until right before serving to keep them from browning prematurely.
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe
Do you want to serve this as a sandwich? Omit the lettuce and chop the ingredients finer. You can then pour the honey mustard dressing over all of the ingredients and mix well. You can also omit the honey mustard and use a traditional chicken salad dressing of mayo, mustard, and lemon juice.
Whatever you do, this Honey Mustard Chicken salad is always a hit!
AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD
HONEY MUSTARD MARINADE/DRESSING
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons smooth and mild Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Olive Oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, can use breasts
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and chopped into strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ large avocado pitted and sliced (can use all if you prefer)
- ¼ cup corn kernels (we prefer canned, uncooked)
- ½ red onion sliced
- Make the dressing by combining the honey, mustard, 2 tablespoons of oil, and garlic. Reserve HALF of the dressing in a clean bowl and refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
- Marinate the chicken with the unreserved dressing overnight.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon of oil until shimmering. Brown one side of the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes. Once browned, flip the chicken and cover the skillet. Let cook for about 6 minutes, until the thickest part reads 165°F with a meat thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. After resting, slice into strips.
- While the chicken is resting, carefully wipe the skillet mostly clean and return it to the stove over medium heat. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil until shimmering.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the fat. Once cool enough to handle, chop the bacon into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Assemble the salad by plating the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, corn, and red onion. Top with the chicken strips and bacon pieces. Drizzle on the remaining dressing.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Photography by The PKP Way.