Broccoli Cheese Casserole is an ooey-gooey, creamy dish that is loaded with broccoli, cheese, sauteed onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes for a comforting side dish or light meal. Try my Amish Broccoli Bake for another cheesy broccoli dish.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
There is just something so comforting about cheesy broccoli. Even if broccoli isn’t one of your favorites, this broccoli casserole is sure to please. (This recipe got RAVE reviews from all who tried it!) And, you will get your veggies in for the day! Add some chicken to the casserole to make it more of a meal.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole Ingredients
Broccoli: I prefer fresh broccoli for this dish, but you could get away with using frozen broccoli that has been thawed. If using frozen broccoli, there is no need to blanch it. Just add it in with the other ingredients after sauteeing the onions and mushrooms.
Tomatoes: Helen’s secret ingredient! (or so I hear) I loved the tomatoes in the casserole. In fact, I will probably add more next time! But, as with the mushrooms, you could leave the tomatoes out.
Cream of Mushroom Soup: If you don’t have a can of this condensed soup on hand, make your own homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup!
Cheese: With cheese in the title, there better be cheese and lots of it! I used a combination of sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
The first step in this recipe is to blanch the broccoli. All you need for this is a pot of salted boiling water and a bowl of ice water nearby. When the water gets to a boil, put in the broccoli and let it cook for 3 minutes. It should be bright green after a few minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the broccoli into the ice water immediately. This ‘shocking’ will stop the broccoli from cooking any longer. Set that aside as you prepare the rest of the recipe.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Casserole
While the cooked broccoli is in the ice bath, get out a skillet to get the rest of the casserole made. Melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms. This takes about 15 minutes (or until the onions and mushrooms are soft). Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute, or until fragrant.
Remove the mixture from the heat and add the broccoli (drained from the ice bath). Then, add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet, using only half of the cheddar cheese and half the mozzarella. The other halves will be for the topping. Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and top with the remaining cheeses.
Bake the broccoli casserole, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. The casserole should be heated through and brown on top. Serve this as a side dish with a roasted spatchcock turkey or this Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- ¼ cup (½ stick or 4 tablespoons) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add water, filling halfway to the top.
- Add a pinch of salt and heat to boiling.
- Add broccoli florets and cook for three minutes (or until bright green). Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of iced water for the ice bath.
- Transfer the broccoli to the ice bath and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and mushrooms. Saute for 15 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for one additional minute.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Add broccoli, diced tomatoes, 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until heated through and browned on top.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Great Casserole. I love it. Thank u for the receipe
Can Velvetta cheese be used instead of mozzarella?