This Chicken Stroganoff has a thick and savory sauce with large chunks of seasoned chicken and tons of earthy mushroom slices. Definitely bursting with flavor! If you prefer beef, try my Beef Stroganoff.
We like to take our time with this Chicken Stroganoff recipe. Allowing the dish to simmer gives the flavors time to soak into the chicken and will make you want to savor every last bite. Make sure to have some bread around to sop up any leftover sauce! Check out this amazing recipe for no yeast breadsticks. They are perfect to sop up the leftover gravy! Season with garlic salt for an amazing pairing!
Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
Want to dress it up even more? How about making your own egg noodles? Check out our homemade egg noodle recipe. Also, we love to use our leftovers when we make slow cooker rotisserie chicken in this recipe. The seasonings from the rotisserie chicken blend great with the gravy in this chicken stroganoff recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
If you were hoping to make this in the slow cooker you are in luck. You basically just skip cooking the chicken.
Follow these directions for Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff:
- In a crockpot, add the chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix to coat evenly.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Next, drop in the garlic and cook until fragrant, which will take about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Stir in the butter until melted and scrape any brown crust from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the flour and stir until no lumps remain. Add this mixture to the crockpot, along with the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
Chicken Stroganoff with Rice
The great debate, noodles, or rice. We serve it over egg noodles, homemade or store-bought, but it’s just as delicious over rice. We recommend using Jasmine, but any variety of long grain rice will work.
Tools used in making this Chicken Stroganoff
Meat Thermometer: Any time I cook chicken I break this tool out.
More Pasta Dishes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Cooked egg noodles
- parsley, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Cook the chicken just until the outside is browned (you will finish cooking it later), working in batches if necessary. Transfer to a clean plate.
- To the now-empty skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned. Stir in the butter until melted, scraping up any brown bits. Add the flour and stir until no lumps remain.
- Pour in the chicken broth, followed by the Worcestershire sauce. Add the chicken along with any juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream until incorporated and creamy.
- Serve hot over cooked egg noodles and garnish with fresh parsley.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Photography by The PKP Way.
THYME ? Fresh or dried? How much?
That was for the SLOW COOKER instructions only. I have removed it, but should you want to add thyme it would be dried and about 1/2 teaspoon.
Sorry for the typos!!!
I have a ? For the slow cooker variation, should t I wait to stir in the sour cream till close to the end of cooking time??? In the directions it’s instructing to add the sour cream to the slow cooker with the other ingredients at the beginning. Thoughts? I’m
Just made it today. Very tasty with a mild warmth from the pepper. The chicken was tender. I didn’t have fresh thyme but used dried and still tasted great. Definitely will make again.
Really Susan more pepper?! Are you crazy?
Very easy and very good ! My husband was very suprised that using chicken instead of beef taste so good ! Made it all ready two times !!!
Delicious, I would add more pepper, I like my stroganoff peppery. Would definitely make It again
Could this be made in an instant pot?
Absolutely amazing!! Everyone loved it!! Kids & all ( who don’t like mushrooms). Will definitely be making this again! Liked it with the chicken better than beef. Everyone liked the bite from the cayenne pepper.
I tried this and it was delicious! Left out the cayenne pepper, used cooking sherry instead of white wine and Better Than Bullion Chicken with water instead of chicken stock (due to allergies and what I had on hand). I served it over jasmine rice. Next time I will do it with the noodles or some kind of pasta and take a picture. Look forward to making it again. Thank you!
Wow. I’m floored. This was f***ing delicious! I did not use any sour cream; it thickened plenty without it, and the creaminess was there. I used crimini mushrooms instead of bella; margarine instead of butter, no pasta, and i most definitely used white wine. A couple of tablespoons isn’t even worth the worry some people are talking about.
I have already made plans to make this again, served hot in bowls with spoons, no pasta, maybe a couple slices of baguette. Delicious!
Great receipe, can I make this with turkey instead of chicken?
Was a great recipe! I made it at lunch time for dinner tonite! Great taste! Can’t wait!!!
Well the way I’ve cooked it..I’ve just literally thrown everything into the slow cooker and hope for the best!! 😂
I wanted to make it, but nowhere to be found on this page (and I’ve been scrolling back and forth for 30 minutes): no recipe, no list of ingredients, no directions.
I’m using PC and googlechrome…and I get pretty webpage pix, LOTS of ads, mention of crockpot and the comments.
Where’s the actual recipe? Shouldn’t that be top, front, center?
I’m sorry. The recipe is there now… there was a glitch in our system.
Beautiful recipe! Wouldn’t change a thing. My family loves stroganoff and we have been using a favorite my mom found in the 60’s while traveling overseas. I made this and everyone loved it. This recipe is in our favorite recipes book, right next to the other stroganoff recipe. Thank you for this keeper
What size crockpot are you using?
You don’t use a crock pot. You won’t get the carmelizing in a crock. Use a heavy PSN like a Dutch oven or cast iron.
Tried this recipe today and it was delicious! The only major alteration was the addition of baby bella mushrooms. I had white buttons in the refrigerator so I used them. Next time I will definitely use bellas. i’m considering adding some chopped, toasted brazil nuts – if I can find them. I saw only one comment that noted the strong black pepper flavor. You really have to enjoy pepper to add a full teaspoon. Fortunately we do. If I make this for guests I will use half that amount. Don’t want to lose all the flavor.
I made this today – only substitution was using GF flour. It was very tasty, and will definitely make again. Thanks!!