Chicken Tetrazzini is an easy pasta dish that is loaded with shredded chicken and mixed with a creamy sauce, all topped with mozzarella cheese and baked in one dish. For another creamy pasta dish, try my Tuna Melt Casserole!
Named after the Italian opera star, Luisa Tetrazzini, this pasta dish, or casserole, is usually made with a creamy sauce, cheese, mushrooms, and added chicken, turkey, or seafood. This recipe is a lot less messy than a classic homemade chicken tetrazzini, but is still as creamy, cheesy, and flavorful!
Chicken Tetrazzini Ingredients
Rotisserie chicken: Use storebought, or make your own rotisserie chicken for this recipe! Or, try turkey, seafood, or even ham.
Cream of mushroom soup: You could use storebought, or you could make homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup. Cream of chicken soup would also work in this recipe.
Onion powder: Feel free to use storebought, or if you’re feeling adventurous, make your own homemade onion powder!
For this dish, you are going to start by preparing your noodles. I like to use salted water because it adds flavor to the water, which is absorbed by the food. It also increases the boiling point of the water (increasing the temperature) and that makes your noodles cook better.
Al dente just means that the noodles are cooked until they are firm and chewy but not soft or soggy. This is very important to pasta because it will continue to cook after being removed from the water. Most of the boxes or bags that you buy pasta in will indicate how long to cook the noodles.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
This casserole is a wonderful meal to make because it not only tastes great, it is baked in one pan. So, get the oven preheated to 325°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. (You could also use a large oven-safe skillet).
In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chicken broth, butter, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix until well combined and add the cooked spaghetti noodles. Pour it into the greased pan.
Top the casserole with the shredded mozzarella cheese and cover it with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes, covered. Then, remove the foil, baking it for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Top with parsley and serve.
Can I Freeze Chicken Tetrazzini?
Yes! This is one of those meals you can prepare ahead of time and take it out when you are ready to eat it! You can cut it into individual portions or just freeze it all in the pan. To freeze the casserole, follow the instructions up to baking the dish. Cover it with aluminum foil, label and date it, and pop it in the freezer. Let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight when you are ready to bake it.
More Pasta Dishes
- 1 box (16 ounces) spaghetti noodles, cooked al dente per package instructions
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cans (21.5 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and cook spaghetti noodles al dente.
- In a large bowl combine, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, broth, butter, parmesan, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add cooked noodles and toss to combine.
- Pour into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. (You could also use a 12-inch oven-safe skillet.)
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Top with parsley. Serve.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Can you use anything besides cream cheese or sour cream?
I’m making it, but I put mozzarella, cheddar cheese and 🥦in mine. 😊🤗