Chicken Tostadas are an authentic Mexican dish that boasts layers of creamy refried beans, juicy rotisserie chicken, avocado, and crisp veggies on top of a warm, crispy corn tortilla. Every mouthful delivers a burst of flavor that your family will devour! Chicken is one of my favorite things to cook with, make sure to check out my slow cooker chicken pot pie and my chicken stroganoff recipes too!
A while back I posted about introducing different cuisines to the family with my chicken tortilla casserole. Here’s another winner you could use. I personally ate three of these Chicken Tostadas in one sitting! I was in love with the crunchy tostada base topped with fresh and colorful toppings and just couldn’t stop myself. Depending on how many mouths you have to feed, you might want to make a double batch. These things fly off the table!
Chicken Tostada Recipe
If you’re really strapped for time, just put out all the toppings in separate bowls and have everyone assemble their own tostada! That is actually one of my favorite ways to serve these. Everyone gets their own choice on what they want on their tostada. Here is what we usually put on the table:
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- homemade pico de gallo (see below for recipe)
And if I am feeling a little “extra” I will throw out some:
- jalapenos, diced
- onions, diced
- tomatoes, diced
- cilantro, diced
- black olives
- green chilis
- sour cream
- taco sauce
- queso cheese
This is one of those meals that you keep eating until you can’t anymore, but if you are looking for a pairing, look no further. Chicken Tortilla Casserole is great as a main dish, or Bacon Cheese and Jalapeno Corn Dip is great for snacking until the meal is ready.
Homemade Pico de Gallo
I used store-bought in this recipe because we have a great one I love, but if you want to make your own here is an easy recipe:
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Stir together the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Can I make this a Chicken Tostada Salad?
Why not! Crunch up the shells and add lots of extra veggies and you are good to go! If you don’t have any shells, don’t worry! You can simply swap them out for taco shells or even tortilla chips! Add as much or as little crunch as you want, or skip that part altogether!
CHICKEN GUACAMOLE AND BEAN TOSTADAS
Chicken Tostadas are an authentic Mexican dish that boasts layers of creamy refried beans, juicy rotisserie chicken, avocado, and crisp veggies on top of a warm, crispy corn tortilla. Every mouthful delivers a burst of flavor that your family will devour!
- 2 small ripe avocados peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can 16 ounces refried beans
- 1 can 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tostada shells
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo store-bought or homemade (recipe below)
- In a small bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and half of the garlic powder with a fork until chunky.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and remaining garlic powder.
- Heat over medium heat until heated through.
Divide the avocado mixture among the tostada shells and spread into an even layer. Repeat with the bean mixture.
- Top each tostada with the lettuce, chicken, cheese, and pico de gallo
Photography by The PKP Way.