Crockpot Salisbury Steak is patties of ground beef topped with mushroom gravy and onions, cooked in a slow cooker. If this sounds good to you, be sure to try my Poor Man’s Salisbury Steak, too!
Crockpot Salisbury Steak
Salisbury steak is like meatloaf, but also like a hamburger. I would say it is a cross between the two. This meal is a great weeknight dinner idea that doesn’t take too long to put together, and it is fairly inexpensive to make. Of course, as with most Salisbury steak recipes, I couldn’t forget the gravy. It was a simple combination of cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix. Pair the patties with some mashed potatoes and green beans for a complete and satisfying meal.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Beef: I use lean ground beef for this recipe.
Potato Chips: Crushed potato chips help hold the patties together. You could also use bread crumbs or even crushed Ritz crackers.
Onion: Add slices of yellow onion to the tops of the patties. You could also add mushrooms, too!
Condensed Soup: Buy a can at the store or make your own condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Dry Onion Soup Mix: One packet of dry onion soup mix is all you will need. You can make your own onion soup mix.
Do I Have to Sear the Patties?
For the best results, you really should take a few minutes to sear the beef patties before adding them to the crockpot or slow cooker. Searing the meat before adding it to the crockpot will help bring out the most flavor from the beef. It will also keep in moisture. Of course, you can still make this recipe without searing the beef patties, but if you have the time, try it!
How to Keep Salisbury Steak from Falling Apart
The combination of the eggs and crushed potato chips keeps the patties together, preventing them from crumbling while cooking. As I stated above, you could also use bread crumbs or crushed Ritz crackers in place of the potato chips.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can definitely get the patties formed ahead of time. Store the patties in the refrigerator for up to two days. Then, when ready, just place them in the bowl of your slow cooker and top with the onion and soup mixture.
Can I Cook Crockpot Salisbury Steak on Low?
In the instructions, it reads to cook the Salisbury steak on high for 3 hours. However, you could also cook it on low for 5-6 hours. Just make sure the patties are cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
Crockpot Salisbury Steak
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole potato chips, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet (1 ounce) dry onion soup mix
- To a large bowl, add ground beef, eggs, potato chips, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands, mix all the ingredients together until fully combined. Form into four equal patties, about ⅓ pound each.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sear each patty for about 2-3 minutes per side. The patties will not be fully cooked.
- Spray the bowl of the crockpot with cooking spray and set the patties on the bottom in a single layer.
- To a medium bowl, add onion, cream of mushroom soup, and onion soup mix. Stir to combine. Spread the mixture over the patties.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or until patties are cooked through and onions are tender. (The internal temperature of the cooked patties should reach 160°F.)
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Is it a cup of crushed potato chips? Or pour a cup of chips and then crush?
Love your recipes. Just bought your recipe book off Amazon 5 minutes ago.
As a widower I had given my wife’s recipe collection plus her recipe books to my daughter because she asked.
Now I find I miss some of those. My other daughter post your FB recipes frequently. Your recipes remind me of my wife’s I noticed as I had spent an hour following links.
Thank you so much for sharing this, Jay. Honored to be a part of your wife’s collection and thank you for your kindness!
I will be making this very soon !!!! I believe that it will be very , very good !!!!!!