Onion Soup Mix is a fresh alternative to the store-bought box brands you find at most grocery stores. It is filled with fresh herbs and spices, including onion, celery, and parsley. You might want to try my Homemade French Onion Dip as well!
Onion Soup Mix
Why buy the packaged stuff when you can make homemade onion soup mix right in your own kitchen? With just a few simple ingredients, you can make as much soup mix as your heart desires and have it on hand for when your recipes call for it. That isn’t even the best part though. The best part about this dry onion soup mix recipe is what it DOESN’t have. This recipe does not contain all of the unpronounceable words that you find on the back of the store-bought stuff. Use it in recipes like my French Onion Beef Casserole and Crockpot Salisbury Steak.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
- To prepare an even healthier version of this mix, you will skip adding the bullion. When you are ready to make the soup, use about 1/4 cup of the dry onion soup mix and mix with 2 cups of homemade beef stock instead of water.
- To make this homemade soup mix vegetarian, you can swap out the beef bullion for vegetable bullion.
- Store this at a cool temperature, preferably in a glass jar for longer shelf life.
- Mix with Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream for a dip, use it as a dry rub on chicken or roast, slice up some fresh onions and use it as a base for a fabulous French Onion Soup.
Homemade Onion Soup Mix
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon parsley flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon celery seed
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whisk together all the ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- When ready to make the soup, heat the entire contents of the container with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
DID YOU MAKE THIS Onion Soup Mix?
Photography by The PKP Way.