This 7-can Chicken Taco Soup is a delicious and flavorful dish filled with the most amazing spices, chicken, corn, and beans. The hardest part about making this soup recipe is opening the cans! With this recipe, dinner is ready in under 30 minutes and clean-up is minimal! If you want the CREAMY version of this soup, try my Creamy Chicken Taco Soup!
Chicken Taco Soup
One thing I love about this recipe is how easy it is and how easy it is to customize. I don’t usually have chicken in a can in my pantry, but I often have leftover chicken, and that works just as well. Another great substitution? Rotisserie chicken! And, you can even use homemade taco seasoning for more flavor when compared to store-bought.
How to Serve 7-Can Soup
We have served this chicken taco soup with sour cream, fresh cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, diced jalapeno, and diced onion. A little something for everyone! We set up a serving tray and pass the fixings around the table! You could also set this up like an appetizer bar!
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup
Add all of the soup ingredients, except the canned chicken, to the bowl of a slow cooker. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Then, in the final 20 minutes or so, add the canned chicken (which is already cooked) to warm it up with the rest of the ingredients.
Can I Make a Vegetarian Version of Chicken Taco Soup?
Yes. Simply don’t add chicken and replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Can I Make this with Less Sodium?
Yes, just opt to buy the low-sodium canned version of the ingredients in the recipe.
How to Store and Freeze Chicken Taco Soup
To store the soup in the refrigerator, add it to an airtight container or plastic sealable bag. It will last 3-5 days.
To freeze this soup, just add soup to an airtight container or freezer-safe sealable plastic bags and be sure to label and date them. It will last several months.
7 Can Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet corn, drained
- 1 can (12.5 ounces) chicken breast*, drained & flaked (or about 2½ cups cooked/shredded chicken)
- 1 can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 packet (2 tablespoons) taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- limes, for garnish
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine all the ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
Photography by The PKP Way.