Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is a soup that is as easy to make as it is to enjoy, filled with chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, cream cheese, and spices. It’s as easy as opening cans and is the creamy version of my 7 Can Chicken Taco Soup.
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
With the fall season right around the corner, it’s time to think of creamy, hearty soups that can be so comforting and tasty. There is no ‘can’t’ in this soup, only lots of cans to open! This recipe is a quick and easy recipe to throw together, but don’t let that fool you into thinking it isn’t delicious. We couldn’t get enough of this soup when we tested it.
Soup Ingredients & Substitutions
Chicken: I love using rotisserie chicken in recipes. It is already cooked and can sometimes be bought already shredded. Plus, I have a recipe for slow cooker rotisserie chicken that works perfectly, too. You could also use canned chicken.
Enchilada Sauce: Use green enchilada sauce, which is made with green chilis for a little heat. In a pinch, you can use homemade enchilada sauce, but you will want to add in heat as red enchilada sauce is not as hot.
Seasonings and Spices: A taco soup can’t be made without taco seasoning. You will also need cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder.
Cream Cheese: The cream cheese adds creaminess to the soup. You could substitute with cottage cheese (might want to run it through the food processor), mascarpone, or sour cream. All substitutions will change the texture and flavor.
Can I Make this Soup Without Chicken?
Sure! If you want a vegetarian soup, leave out the chicken. In addition, use vegetable broth as opposed to chicken broth or stock.
How to Store Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
If you have any of the soup left over, let it cool to room temperature before storing. If storing the entire pot of soup, divide it up into smaller containers to bring it to room temperature a little quicker. Once cooled, it will last up to three days in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing this soup since it is made with cream cheese and could separate.
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- 2½ cups (350 g) rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 ounces pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet corn, drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 packet (2 tablespoons) taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed, room temperature
- 1 cup (113 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- jalapeno, sliced for garnish
- cilantro, chopped for garnish
- lime wedges, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- tortilla chips, for serving
- To a large pot over medium-high heat, add chicken, black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, taco seasoning, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. In the final 10 minutes of cooking, add in the cream cheese and stir together until melted.
- Top with your favorties fixings like cheese, jalapeno, cilantro, lime, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.