Easy Spinach Dip is a warm and creamy dip made with three kinds of cheese, sour cream, spinach, and artichoke hearts for a flavorful appetizer. Try my Bacon Spinach Dip for another rich and decadent cheesy dip.
Easy Spinach Dip
There is nothing like a variety of dip recipes to have on hand as appetizers for holidays, game days, or just a day you are craving a warm and cheesy dip! This easy spinach dip is made on the stovetop in an oven-safe skillet. Then, more cheese is added to the top and broiled for a few minutes to a light brown. It is a rich dip that pairs well with toasted baguettes or bagel chips. If you want the dip with bread, give my Cheesy Skillet Artichoke Dip a try; it’s topped with baked bread!
Spinach Dip Ingredients
Spinach: Grab a bag of frozen spinach to use in this recipe; let it thaw slightly before adding it to the skillet. We did not make this with fresh spinach, which would be a different amount used to cook down to the amount of frozen spinach.
Artichoke Hearts: I bought a can of small artichoke hearts that I drained and then chopped into smaller pieces.
Cheese: As I stated above, I used three kinds of cheese in this dip–cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese. The mozzarella cheese is used in the dip as well as on top.
How to Make Easy Spinach Dip
Make sure you have an oven-safe skillet (I love cast-iron skillets for dips). The dip will go into the oven for the final 2-3 minutes to brown the mozzarella cheese. First, melt the butter and add the partially thawed frozen spinach and artichoke hearts. Cook these ingredients for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
Next, add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Then, to the skillet, add the cream cheese and sour cream, mixing them with the spinach and artichoke hearts. At this point, stir in the parmesan cheese, one cup of mozzarella cheese, and cayenne pepper. Cook the dip for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
Finally, remove the dip from the heat and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Place the skillet in the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully so you don’t burn it. Once the cheese has melted and is slightly brown, remove the dip from the oven. Serve it warm with a hearty chip.
How to Store Spinach Dip Leftovers
This dip should only sit out for a couple of hours at room temperature. After that, store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will last 3-4 days when stored properly. Freezing is not recommended for this dip because of the sour cream and cream cheese.
Easy Spinach Dip
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, partially thawed
- 1 can (14 ounces) small artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- bagel chips or baguettes, for dipping
- In a medium, oven-safe skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the spinach and artichoke hearts. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Mix the cream cheese and sour cream into the spinach mixture.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened (5-10 minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Top with remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and place in the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes, watching carefully. The cheese will start to brown slightly.
- Serve warm with bagel chips or baguettes.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.