French Onion Bombs are bursting with the flavors of caramelized onions and creamy Gruyere cheese, all wrapped up and baked in a buttermilk biscuit. Then, they are brushed with a cheesy onion-flavored butter, perfect for an appetizer or snack! And, you could even make these in an air fryer! I also have French Onion Garlic Bread that you will love!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Onions: Yellow onions are a good choice for sauteing because they bring out their natural sweetness and depth of flavor.
Biscuits: Look for southern homestyle buttermilk biscuits in a can (not the flaky variety). Or, make your own buttermilk biscuits!
Cheese: Gruyere cheese has a rich, creamy, and slightly sweet flavor. It is a smooth nutty cheese that melts beautifully. It is added to the bombs as well as used in the onion butter. You could certainly experiment with different kinds of cheese like Swiss, mozzarella, cheddar cheese, or your favorite.
Onion Butter: Melted butter is mixed with salt, onion powder, and grated Gruyere cheese for a flavorful butter brushed over the tops of the bombs.
Can I Add Meat To French Onion Bombs?
Absolutely! Adding meat to the French onion bombs can make them more filling and then be served as a main course. Add rotisserie chicken (or other chicken that has already been cooked), cooked ground beef, or cooked ground sausage. In fact, we did test the bombs with rotisserie chicken, which was delicious!
Can I Use A Different Pan?
Sure! If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you could use a baking dish to bake the French onion bombs. Caramelize the onions in a pan that you have available. Then, once the bombs are assembled, place them into a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Watch them closely, as the baking time may need to be adjusted.
How To Store French Onion Bombs
To store French onion bombs, first, let them cool to room temperature. Next, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last up to 3-4 days. Reheat the bombs in the microwave or in the oven.
French Onion Bombs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 can (8-count) Southern Homestyle buttermilk biscuits, not flaky
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, cut into 16 equal-sized cubes, divided
- ¼ cup (½ stick / 57 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Gruyere cheese, grated
- parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- In a 12-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Once melted, add onions and saute for 25-30 minutes. Stir occasionally until the onions are very tender and caramel color. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.*
- Remove the biscuits from the can and place them on a clean work surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten each biscuit to about ⅛-inch thickness.
- Top each biscuit with a heaping tablespoon of onions and 2 cubes of cheese.
- Fold the edges of the biscuit together, pinching them tightly so there are no holes or gaps. Place the bomb seam side down into the oven-safe skillet. Repeat with the remaining bombs.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, salt, onion, and Gruyere cheese.
- After removing the bombs from the oven, brush the onion butter mixture over the top of each. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
You can tag me at @iamhomesteader.
What the Test Kitchen had to say about this recipe:
I couldn't get enough of these. The flavor was out of this world! I would serve this as an appetizer for a dinner party!
I loved these French Onion Bombs! Wow! They are so flavorful and easy to grab and eat! The onion butter on top added even more delicious flavor!
French onion is a flavor I don't ever get sick of, and these are such a good combination in the biscuit dough. Serve these to guests and they will not be disappointed!
After trying several French onion recipes, this is on my list of favorites! You can't go wrong with a soft, buttery biscuit filled with caramelized onions. Oh, and cheese, of course!
These were flavorful and cheesy and really reminiscent of french onion soup!
The flavor of these is incredible and I love the convenience of them, too!